A need for anti-spy software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macworksgreat, May 18, 2007.

1. macworksgreat macrumors member

macworksgreat

Just curious....being new to using Mac.....is there a need to get an anti-spyware software (freeware?) for the Mac? When I used windows I certainly made sure to use it. If there is (and I am sure it is always better to be safe than sorry) - what would you suggest? Also I always used a program to erase my Internet cookies, etc automatically after closing my FF browser. Again, what would anyone suggest regarding that as well?

Thanks

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

there are some spyware and anti-virus app out here but i believe most people including me don t worry bout it....you don t have to worry about htose htinks in a mac, and as for cookies, just delete them manually or get an app that s great for system maintenance, it called Onyx and its freeware, i highly recommend it..

3. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

On a Mac, there truthfully isn't a worry for virus', just ensure that your firewall is enabled. They do sell commercial antivirus software for the Mac, but i don't see the point really.

4. macworksgreat thread starter macrumors member

macworksgreat

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you like (using Safari), you can enable 'Private Browsing', you can 'Reset Safari', and 'Empty Cache'; all of these are located in the Safari main menu.

6. Scottcop macrumors member

Do any of you think that somebody could install spyware, say as part of some other software install.
    Something that monitors, redirects your searching and browsing?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Of course.

But as with any downloads from teh intarweb, one must weigh the potential for mischief against the usefulness of the download.

Such a malevolent installation would require an admin password, so any user that fell prey to it would be partially to blame. :)

8. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Well AV programs are useless because they no virus for mac so they can't protect from them it only slows you Mac down.

9. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

It is quite easily possible for me to add a piece of code into any application to wipe your whole profile and documents off your machine, however sites like MacUpdate and the Mac community in general would obviously brand this as badware and you would know about it.

So i just suggest read the comments on a program, see how many downloads its had, and is it a trusted source?

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

There's no true way to stop malware, you just have to be careful.

Heck, I don't even use anti-spyware tools in Windows (but I do keep some AV software running).

11. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

If a developer attempted to sneak a spyware program into a mac application, then they may as well not bother developing anything for mac ever.

btw, if you're using FF a better way to manage cookies is to set it to not accept any cookies at all then set exceptions for sites you want. Or it can also automatically delete a variety of information on quitting.

12. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

i should of actually mentioned, there is no software out there to stop a developer doing what i said.

you could install everything you want to try to stop it but no scanners will pick it up, i mean yes there is a insane security lock down that would block it but thats just ridiculous.

13. Winterfell macrumors regular

One safe way to avoid the potential for any sort of malware is to use open source software. Because the source is open to anyone, the chances of any malicious software being included is pretty much zero.

There's a lot of great open source software for all platforms, including the Mac. Here's a pretty decent site that will give you information about several very good open source applications for your Mac.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Imperceptibly.