A need for Jailbreak with SDK??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pizz, Jan 28, 2008.

1. pizz macrumors regular

Will there be a need for Jailbreak once Apple releases it's SDK? I have a Jailbroken 1.1.1 ipod and am considering just waiting for SDK instead of trying to Jailbreak to 1.1.3.

2. mvaj92 macrumors member

Well Apple will likely charge for the Official apps, however with that charge will also come their support for their apps. Jailbreaking will remain free, but without apple support. So i suppose you could go the free way, or the safe way.

3. Forkaster macrumors member

well, apple selling apps that the developers may want to give away for free isn't that much third party is it?

I think they will do something like an ID card per app that will point the user to the dev(s) for bugs and the sorts.

I mean when all those open source groups out there start developing for the iPhone since they will be backed up by the SDK, why would apple charge for an app that isn't from Apple? That will be a step in the wrong way, if apple takes it.

But recently Apple has been taking a few bad steps, so i would not be surprised if they start charging for every single app developed for the iPhone, free or not.

4. nintapple macrumors member

touch users will get screwed i tell ya. stupid accounting issues will make us pay for everything.

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Unfortunately, i think that is true, judging by the fact that they are refunding people their $20 for the soft update...

Personaly, im a free fan, so if free content isnt supported, back to app tapp i go.

6. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

personally i can still see a need for jailbreak because of things like perian and other codecs or plugins. Also things that need low level access into osx(ex: terminal) because apple will never fully allow that much with the SDK.

7. Forkaster macrumors member

Is perian Available for iPod Touch and iPhone? I not i don't think they will come out with a version for it if Apple does not throw them a good bone (SDK), not with the same name at least.

Well it's all speculation, but i sure hope they put iPhone and iPod Touch apps at a price set by developers, free or not. then we will probably see most of the apps already available by Jailbreaking officially allowed and probably a performance boost on them (with an official SDK and all).

I do not have neither an iPod nor an iPhone, i am still deciding what i will choose, and the iPhone is not out on my country yet.

8. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Jailbreak is a bad idea, with or without the SDK.

9. cjd82187 macrumors member

Why is it a bad idea? I like to have other apps and games for my iPod. And I also paid 20 bucks for the official apps as well and have the DRM official applications synced to my 1.1.3 jailbroken touch. I have no problems with it, have the official apps + other cool ones. Whats so bad about that?

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

The only part i can think of is the warranty being void when you JB the IPT, which is the only reason i havent kept mine jailbroken, but it is awesome.....

11. Forkaster macrumors member

If you restore the iPod will it leave any trace of the jailbreak? I thought that if you restored your iPod that you would still have warranty.

Well, before the Jan update, i would jailbreak an iPod touch for the iPhone Apps. Now i personally don't see the need, i just wish for a decent PDF reader, hopefully something will come out with the SDK.

12. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

unsupported negative assumptions

Why do people keep repeating this gripe as if they "know" that Apple is going to do this? Everyone seems to be champing at the bit to sh*t all over Apple lately.

- Apple has already said that they envision apps being priced in a range between "free" and about five bucks.

- Apple already provides access to more free material (podcasts, iTunesU), than anyone out there doing similar things.

Please do your part to stop passing around this unsupported negative assumption. We will all find out for sure soon enough.

To the OP's original question:

The main thing that a Jailbroken iPhone is going to provide in terms of apps, that Apple will *never* likely provide is illegal apps. Now you might think you are not a criminal and have no interest in that sort of thing, but by illegal, I mostly mean apps that infringe on another person or companies copyright.

One of the most popular segments of iPhone apps are game emulators. The majority of game emulators are in a "hazy" legal area. So the main thing you probably won't see on the iPhone app list at Apple is likely those kinds of things. If iD software puts Doom on the iPhone, you will see it, if it's some kid from Omaha that figured out how to do it, you won't.

The other thing is that rumor has it that developers will be submitting code to Apple, not the compiled app and that this might be achieved through the XCode product. If that is true, then any hacker iPhone apps that use ripped off code will not be allowed. Also this will leave a lot of hackers out in the cold if they have to start using Apple tools instead of whatever their current preference is.

13. Forkaster macrumors member

Either you quoted the wrong post or you did not read my entire post. I did not said that Apple will charge for anything that is not theirs.

Anyways i do not think that iPhone/iPT development won't be closed to Xcode. I mean, some non mac users might want to develop for the iPhone. I agree that what i've said does not seem very logical, but i guess its understandable, why should someone get a mac to develop an app for the iPhone they bought?

Just bring out that SDK :D

14. boz0 macrumors regular

*cough*

I may be waiting for the SDK to see what kind of free apps come up, but if it doesn't deliver, I'll be going the jailbreak way mostly for legal stuff. Having openssh on my touch would be great. So would Perian.

And, while I dearly hope that Apple won't automatically refuse every app they don't like, given the way they've locked the Touch, there's a fair chance they still won't let you do what you want with your device. I didn't buy a license that states I can only do this or that with my ipod, I bought a device which I want to use to the fullest, even if that use wasn't the original purpose of the device - what can I say, I just need to get all my equipments to talk together :D

15. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

One thing thats bad about the jailbreak is your most likely going to be using an older version of the firmware and or a version were there is the exploit that was used in the first place for the jailbreak plus whatever other bugs that firmware may have that apple later fixes in updates. The security aspect is the biggest threat. Now this might not be a big of an issue with the touch as it would be with an iphone thats always connected via cell networks but as market share increases I can see viruses poping up that take advantage of these same expoits. This would be similar to what we see in the windows world of older unpatched systems being taken advantage by spamers, etc.

16. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm hoping that development for the ipod/iphone will follow in the steps of Widget development. I always saw the iphone/ipod of a portable Widget player actually

17. wizard macrumors 68040

Really?

I suppose that you are all for having Apple approve what sorts of apps get installed on your PC? For that matter maybe you should have Apple review your mail before you go to the box in the morning.

Jailbreak on these devices is what makes them so valuable.

Dave

18. wizard macrumors 68040

Because they deserve it!
    They have also said that they are looking at distribution models that remove a lot of control from the user and developer.
    Ok so what does this have to do with the subject matter?
    True we will, hopefully in less than 25 days. The problem in this regards is Apple's attitude with respect to the Touch devices. Negative assumptions is what you get when the little bit of information coming out of Apple is very anti developer and anti freedom.

Sure Apple could do a 360, they have already realized that the Touch is more of a Tablet than a simple Media device. Hopefully they will realize also that commercial development is not the only path to follow with these devices. Support of private and public development is also required.
    That is absolute garbage. Since when is a terminal emulator, openssh, any of BSD or the rest of the Unix world illegal. The way that you state the above leads me to believe that you have a highly biased point of view.

By the way I'm all for Apple leaving use with a complete BSD environment for download. Heck it be worth $20 dollars to me easy. I don't think they will do so thus the need for a jailbroken Touch.
    So no you are trying to say that processor and environment emulation is illegal? Last I knew it is not. Lack of legal access to the ROMS is another issue altogether but has nothing to do with emulation as a technology.
    Now you are implying that hackers rip off code. Some do but in the norm they generate far more code than the average programmer and frankly of higher quality than most programmers.

As to the willingness to submit code to Apple, just how many developers do you think would be willing to do so? Further I do you expect Apple to review that code for rip offs?
    No they would simply continue to use the current development environments that they have generated.

Frankly I'm not sure what your post was getting at. It has a tone of being very much against independent development. Almost as if you where some sort of professional programmer with a vested interest in the destruction of the competition.

Dave