Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
alright, I know this could be a little on the impossible side now, but just thought it might be a good idea in the future.

So, the idea is to combine the storage of multiple time capsules into one giant time machine backup poll.
Let's say my house have three floors, to achieve best wireless performance, I might need two or three airports. But instead of using 1 TC+ 1/2 AirPort Extreme, I use 3 time capsules.
But the problem is, I will have three dedicate time machine destinations to manage, a lot of things in the side bar.
If Apple could push an update that can combine three disks into one (kinda like JBOD in raid terms..)

And the benefits are:
1. Much cleaner setup, you just add TC's and don't have to remember which TC you are backing up to.
2. Much larger storage space. The largest time capsule is 3TB, while the iMacs come with 1t/2tb default, with 3tb upgrade option. And the recommended time machine space is 2-4 times of the hard drive size, one single time capsule is barely ok (not enough) for one single iMac, if there is multiple iMacs + MacBooks, one time capsule is far from enough
3. Rotating backups to multiple destination improves stability. Three 2tb backups is definitely safer than one 6th.

So what are your thoughts on this?

roberthallin

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
I guess what you could do, that would at least take care of 1 and 2, is use Airport Extremes working as one network instead and backup to a large (8-12tb?) USB drive connected to one of them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think a NAS maybe be a better and more seamless approach to what you're looking to do.

Reactions: satcomer

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
I guess what you could do, that would at least take care of 1 and 2, is use Airport Extremes working as one network instead and backup to a large (8-12tb?) USB drive connected to one of them.
Well, that's definitely a solution, but still not perfect.... Just another cable, device to manage... And most hard drives do not blend in home environment like time capsule... And is USB connection as stable as internal drive?
[doublepost=1454298946][/doublepost]
I think a NAS maybe be a better and more seamless approach to what you're looking to do.
Sure NAS is another solution, but just thinking if Apple just release a bigger TC or combine multiple TC, it would be much much easier and simpler

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sure NAS is another solution, but just thinking if Apple just release a bigger TC or combine multiple TC, it would be much much easier and simpler
While I'm sure apple's software and interaction would be simple, as Apple is about simplicity, implementing something like that would not be simple for Apple, couple that with the fact it would have limited appeal and I think we have our answer.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
While I'm sure apple's software and interaction would be simple, as Apple is about simplicity, implementing something like that would not be simple for Apple, couple that with the fact it would have limited appeal and I think we have our answer.

of course the implementing is not simple, because basically the slave drives would have to mount on the master, so all time capsules will need a lot more computing power, and a much complicated system (which means ++ bugs).

but at least provide a larger version of TC? 6tb and 8tb drives are all over the market now, but we can only buy aftermarket ones or DIY?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personally, I still think a NAS is a more elegant solution that provides more flexibility and options. Regardless of how one feels, you really have limited choices and you can what if yourself until the cows come home, but that won't change anything.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Well, that's definitely a solution, but still not perfect.... Just another cable, device to manage... And most hard drives do not blend in home environment like time capsule... And is USB connection as stable as internal drive?

If you desire to stick with an Apple solution then going for the large hard drive with the Extreme is your best (and only) option. That being said, NAS manufacturers make some great hardware but you lose the simplicity in the setup. Newer NASs are great and easy to work with.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Personally, I still think a NAS is a more elegant solution that provides more flexibility and options. Regardless of how one feels, you really have limited choices and you can what if yourself until the cows come home, but that won't change anything.

that's true.
[doublepost=1454455157][/doublepost]
If you desire to stick with an Apple solution then going for the large hard drive with the Extreme is your best (and only) option. That being said, NAS manufacturers make some great hardware but you lose the simplicity in the setup. Newer NASs are great and easy to work with.

that's not necessarily the only apple solution. you can also (not saying it's any better though) plug a huge drive to one of the computers, and use that as OS X server and time machine to that computer/drive....
though still, not a perfect solution.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
that's not necessarily the only apple solution. you can also (not saying it's any better though) plug a huge drive to one of the computers, and use that as OS X server and time machine to that computer/drive....
though still, not a perfect solution.

Using OS X Server and a Mac Mini is a great option if you need more than just basic file sharing and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.