A New 17 or 18inch MacPro? What are the odds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChinkyBob, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ChinkyBob macrumors regular

ChinkyBob

Hi Guys.
    Question.
    Its probably a tired conversation by now, but what are the odds that Apple will release a new super duper large screen Pro Laptop to replace the 17incher that was dropped two years ago????
    I think its not so far fetched tbh, there is demand for it by 40 something professionals who like to splash out occasionally, and 17inch screen realestate is so much nicer that 15.4inch, regardless of resolution.
    The only reason the original 17inch lacked sales was they demanded such a preposterous premium for it, 500 pounds more for a17inch identical specced and benchmarked laptop bar the screen size and resolution was a hard sell even for diehard fans.
    Apple should release a 18inch laptop, in the same size shell as the old 17inch, 2560x1440 is plenty (even Full HD is ok), but with 2 TB, USB-c, Power, 4 USBs, etc, and as a Pro it needs a NUMBER PAD!
    ChinkyBob

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What are the odds apple making a larger laptop - between slim and none, and slim left town.

I don't think there's any chance.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There are 2 hopes of this happening

And one of them is Bob....

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Negative. It was killed off because it just didn't sell.

Look at other manufacturers, barely anyone offers a laptop bigger than 15" these days.

5. jsagurton macrumors member

I think the best chance, and even this is about as likely as Helen Keller coming back from the grave and taking up an illustrious career in NASCAR driving, is a 16" laptop in the current 15" or slightly larger form factor (by reducing the bezels). I don't have any reputable sources for this, just pipe dreams on this forum.

...although if they did make a 16" or 17" laptop, I'd be on that like white on rice. My 17" mid-2010 is showing it's age, even with an SSD and maxed out RAM.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

18": Very nearly impossible

17": Extremely unlikely

16": Unlikely, but could happen

Number pad: Completely impossible.

7. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Might as well add up a flip-out screen to the list as well. Oh, and FireWire 3 and a Blu-Ray drive while you're at it.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

i would be happy with a new 15" with USB-c support

9. ChinkyBob thread starter macrumors regular

ChinkyBob

Well, you heard it here first.

Guys,
    Get ready for a surprise. :D

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Outside of heavy gaming, the trend across the mobile computing market is for smaller and lighter machines, not large screens of 16" +. Since Apple has never put a premium on gaming, it's unlikely they would sell a model that would be larger than 15" in a retina version, and it's doubtful that they could sell enough in a non-retina version to even justify the development costs.

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

As much as I'd like to upgrade my 17" if Apple does bring it back, if not - I may have to retire it for the next 15" update.

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

And you heard it here many times, it isn't going to happen. As mentioned above the trend has been toward smaller and lighter, and a 17" is bigger and heavier.

A 15" can be connected to a larger display in a desktop environment, and everywhere else the added portability helps while the screen is still plenty big enough.

13. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

My 17" was messed up by AppleCare so they gave me a top line 15" rMBP about 5 weeks ago... I would love another new 17" machine.