A new 3rd quarter Macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheOnlyOasis, Jun 21, 2008.

1. TheOnlyOasis macrumors newbie

I've seen a few threads about this hear or there, but haven't seen many hard facts.

I'm considering buying a macbook for my college laptop, but the absolute latest I can wait is until the end of July, since school starts august 13th and I'd like to give myself a couple weeks to get used to OSX.

I've also been hearing about a "monteniva" update. What is it about "monteniva" that will make it better? Also, is it just the software thats going to change, or the look of the macbook also?

If I were to buy the CURRENT macbook, would it last me at least 5 years without me needing/wanting buy a new laptop?

Also, what are the chances of this happening by the end of july? Is there anything official said by apple or any links to hard information?

Thanks for the help! :apple:

2. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

and for the 1 millionth thread...
    nothing is factual

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Absolutely... it depends on what you do. If you need Photoshop or a 3D intensive suite of apps (think Final Cut Studio), then it won't last you nearly that long and would be a poor choice to begin with. Light college usage will most definitely allow you to get five years out of it.

None of the software is changing for Montevina, and neither is the case.

4. TheOnlyOasis thread starter macrumors newbie

So, whats all the speculation based off of? Some people seem so sure, but I don't want to wait if nothing new is probably coming out

Nothing with 3d, but definitely photoshop for photo editing and some graphic design as a hobby. Is the macbook not powerful enough?

5. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

As the very existence of these boards and threads shows, that just ain't the way it works.

6. illidian macrumors 6502

The MacBook is certainly powerful enough for photoshop now. But five years from now it will be lacking in that department.

That's because there aren't "hard facts." The "hard facts" are that one day, the MacBooks will be refreshed with little to no notice beforehand.

It has nothing to do with software. It's strictly a hardware update - the refresh will have slightly better specs than the current model.

With the use you described, most probably.

No, there is not "hard information," other than Intel telling us that Montevina will be done July 14th. The chances are fifty-fifty at best, depending on how optimistic you are.

7. 28monkeys macrumors 6502

28monkeys

get 4GB DDR2 ram