A New Beginning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nachi, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Nachi macrumors newbie

Nachi

Well I know all of you have heard this story before, this will be my first transition from PC to :apple:. I’m a full blown Windows user and could deal with all the issues that came with it. I’m also a student majoring in Illustration and Graphic Design and my school has half Mac and half PC computers, which I work with them both. But when I first came to my school 2 years ago I was really blown away:eek: by the iMacs. The last time I was on a Mac was in Elementary School, so it was a whole new experience. So after months of saving up and research I think that I’m making the right decision. I’m going to purchase my first Macbook Pro 17inch online on the apple store.:D

Here are my Specifications; I wanted to know if the 128 GB SSD is a good choice because I was going to get an OWC SSD to replace the optical bay. I will upgrade to 8GB ram soon, but for now is that good enough.

• 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
    • 128GB Solid State Drive
    • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    • MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Glossy Widescreen Display
    • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

2. jinnyman macrumors member

gratz!!
    I do have the same mbp.
    However, are you ok with the glossy screen? Cuz you will be doing illustration and such. I personally like glossy ones so I went with stock 17 mbp.

3. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Just bear in mind that 128GB isn't a massive amount of storage for a graphics designer. I've made pretty big graphics files in the past and 128GB stuffed with all them files wont last that long. Depends on the person though :cool:

4. Nachi thread starter macrumors newbie

Nachi

Well I was thinking that too but at my school we have the Glossy iMacs and I love how sharp my work looks on it. I went to the apple store and looked at both and brought up some of my work on each computer and I still I leaned towards the Glossy screen, also I’m not crazy about the matte silver trim around the screen, it's not the flattering. Thank you:D

----------

Yeah I know, that is why I'm getting a 240GB Mercury Electra 6G SSD from OWC.

5. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Got the same computer but with anti glare. Get the computer you posted and the optibay (mine has 7200rpm 750gb drive) you will love it