A new "bigger" iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by infosprt, Aug 20, 2008.

1. infosprt macrumors regular

An Apple analyst was interviewed on CNBC today. The analyst mentioned that he thought there would be a "bigger" ipod announced sometime in mid September along with enhancements to the Macs.

When I first heard it I thought of "bigger" being physically larger but now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe "bigger" means more memory and some more stuff in the existing form factor.

At any rate it is looking like Apple is beginning to own the mobile marketplace with the iPhone and iPod touch lines. Microsoft appears clueless and I think the Android project is going slower than expected. Also, more developers are developing for the iPhone.

Which brings me to think there will be some sort of mid level mobile device coming from Apple. Something maybe 50% larger than the existing iPod touch with enhancements. Possibly a camera.

Any thoughts on what "bigger" could be (if anything)?

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Probably the iPod classic getting more storage?

I would say they are going to bump the base one up to 120gb, and the high end one to 200+.

I doubt we will see a "bigger" (as in actual size) iPod...

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would be willing to bet that there are those who are hoping for a Newton like Touch. :)

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Im interested!:D

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

There are 4.3", 5", and larger touchscreens out there. Apple wouldn't be the first. If they keep it thin they could own that market too, as the Archos and Cowans are bricks. Yet that's not a market I'm interested in. The Touch is still pocketable and easily rides on a belt. Make it any larger in dimensions then all the current cases won't fit, meaning another three months before the industry gets us cases for it. JMHO

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Early on, I wanted a Touch that was twice as large (screen area wise).

Now, after using the Touch for a while, I am liking the form factor. Maybe a little bigger, so that you can still put it in your pocket, but not much bigger.

As for the Newton aspect, being able to use a stylus (handwriting recognition) and having a mic, speaker, GPS, camera, etc. However, adding these would make the Touch not near as portable that much is certain.

I really like the small size and thinness of the Touch. When I ride the train, I just put it in my front pocket. It fits nicely there. It feels much thinner and lighter than the iPhone.

Actuality comparing the Touch to the iPhone:

Weight: 4.2 oz compared to 4.7oz or about 11% lighter.

Volume: 3.20 cu in compared to 5.18 cu in, or about 38% smaller.

So I hope that Apple keeps the Touch small and light in future iterations. But at the same time, I would like to see a more Newton like version.

Looking for the September updates. :)

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

It can't be new higher capacities, since flash tops out at 32 GB for the touch and HDs top out at 160 GB for the classic. The rumored portrait display iPod nanos are bigger in two dimensions, but I'm not sure if "bigger" is the word to use. "Taller" sounds better to me.

Maybe the old AppleInsider rumor is coming true!

[​IMG]

iPod touch + 2x resolution (720·480) Multi-tasking + iLife mobile + iWork mobile + eBook reader + camera + speakers + mind map app + education-enhanced stuff = I WANT!

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I bet a few folks on MR just let out a collective sigh of anticipation. :D

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

But it is an analyst, so we must still have our doubts. :D

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Party Poop! :D

I think that September is going to be a long month ... waiting in anticipation.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I like the idea of a quasi-newton larger device but my bet is on more storage.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Don't think we will see the jump to 64GB yet. Still too expensive is my guess.

Hopefully I will be surprised.

13. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

I don't know if this says anything to you guys about the price of flash, but looking at it, it is possible for apple to get more capacity in the ipod touch. Figuring that they will get there stuff cheaper thn what the standard price is.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1219343...172455,n:172500,p_n_size_browse-bin:677429011

not all of it may be useful, but some of it could give insight.. Also think that it also costs the companies who make this money to do the things on the exterior, so that price is always to consider.

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Flash memory has dropped so much in the last year that Apple could easily double memory in the Touch, keep the prices the same, and still make the same profit. You can get (retail) 16gb SD or microSD cards for <$40 . Apple has $100 markup (minimum $60 additional profit) between the 16gb and 32gb Touch right now, and I'm sure they get a better-than-retail price for their flash chips.

15. punkkid219 macrumors newbie

punkkid219

iLife mobile oh come on. Well concerning today's technology everything is getting smaller. I don't think apple would be dumb enough to make something bigger. Concerning every update they have ever done has made the iPod smaller

16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

What?

24" iMac? Larger display on iPod nano? iPod touch?

If anything, iLife mobile and iWork mobile would be the movement of larger desktop/laptop apps suites into smaller handheld devices.

17. punkkid219 macrumors newbie

punkkid219

but see the article does not say taller it says bigger. Im sure bigger means in width. Just because the iPod gets a new screen doesnt make it bigger. Just taller or wider. not bigger

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Bigger is size, not width.

2005/2006 iPod nano: 1.5" display
    2007 iPod nano: 2.0" display

The 2007 iPod nano is wider than the 2005/2006 iPod nano. By your definition, that must mean the iPod nano got bigger.