A new carrier update is available VZW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mo25, Mar 5, 2011.

1. mo25 macrumors member

I just got this message on my vzw iPhone. After I clicked it nothing happened.. Did anyone else get this message?

2. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Carrier settings updates are small files (about 10k) that are downloaded from iTunes to be installed on your iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + 3G. The carrier settings can include updates to the default APN (how the device accesses the carrier's cellular data network). The carrier settings for iPhone also include special dialing codes at Settings > Phone > [Carrier] Services, default settings for Stocks, Maps, Weather, and other items. You should install the latest carrier settings updates for your device as soon as they are available.

Hope this helped...

It looks like a carrier update to help the phone connect better with the carrier. Notice in your settings it went from Verizon 9.somemthing to Verizon 10.1

3. What?Say,What?, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

What?Say,What? macrumors newbie

Ah...

That's all very interesting... however, as a paranoid human I am hoping we can get some reports of exactly what this does before doing it... since it seems to be, at least for the moment, optional. Like, for example, will it enable the bandwidth throttling that verizon threatened, that perhaps didn't get into the final release of iOS 4.2.6 ViPhone?
    :eek:
    not that I'm in the top 5% of bandwidth users...

EDIT:
    see Update Carrier Settings VZW IPhone 4 here on macrumors for a more lively discussion.