A new digital SLR camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fooj, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Fooj macrumors member

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a new camera for a family holiday, an SLR, I have seen this one on amazon which rates quite high, wondering what peoples thoughts are?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Power...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213372545&sr=8-1

Previously we have had problems with battery life of digital cameras, I see this one takes 4 x AA batterys, is this pretty standard for cameras like these, in a similar price bracket?

Any comment would be great
    thanks

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

thats not an slr camera..

ive got the nikon d40, one of the best cameras for the price!

3. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I have an Olympus E-510 which can currently be had for little more than $600 in a kit with two zoom lenses. It's small and extremely light, has optical stabilization and is a delight to use. It comes with a single battery pack which should be good for around 600 shots. There's an even lighter, slightly smaller version of it, the E-420, which omits the image stabilizer if the budget is tight.

Digital SLRS are not inexpensive when compared to digital 'point-and-shoot' type cameras but are generally worth the extra money for quality of image and flexibility.

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

My 20D will shoot 300 to 600 pics per battery. Last time I bought batteries, they were close to $100 each though. If you are just taking snapshots on a trip, the canon you showed may be fine. Sure it will burn through a ton of batteries, but at $0.30 each, you have a lot of sets before it adds up to a spare SLR battery. The 20D can take 8 AA's but you supposedly only get ~200 pictures, never had to try that though. Go to a camera store and play with a bunch of different models and find one that is comfortable. Buying unseen and untried off the internet is generally a mistake as things start getting more expensive and more tailored to specific uses. Good Luck.