A new I mac or Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrCatMan, Jun 16, 2008.

1. MrCatMan macrumors member

Hi all.

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

I have three macs; 80gb G3 I mac in my study and 100gb MacBook and 80gb G4 Powerbook.

I want to burn all my DVD's via mac the ripper and handbrake and stream them to my TV via Apple TV (which I have not bought yet). Only the macbook seems to be up to the job of converting dvds and it is nearly full.

As there is not really the room on any of my macs could I add a 1Tb Time Capsule anttached by wifi to supply the films on demand to Apple tv or will I have to buy a new I mac with a giant sized hard drive.

Thanks

MrCatman

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Hello. If you haven't been already, let me first welcome you to the forums.

You could buy a new iMac. New toys are always fun!
    However, the more practical route would be to get the Time Capsule, and use it for backup/storage. However again, do you need a new (wireless) router?

If not, then a 1TB Time Capsule is something of a waste. You could pick up a pre-built external hard drive for less money, and have nearly the same flexibility. Or you could assemble one yourself by purchasing a physical drive and a separate housing, usually for even cheaper.

A firewire connection will be better for your use, transferring large video files.

I hope that helps.