A new icon randomly appeared in the menu bar - "Open Displays Preferences..."

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by shoehornhands, Nov 10, 2014.

1. shoehornhands macrumors regular

Seemingly out of nowhere a new icon appeared in the menu bar of my MacBook Air. If I click on it, another box appears labeled "Open Displays Preferences..." and clicking on that box takes me to the "Displays" option in System Preferences.

There's a check box in the "Displays" option that says "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" that's checked (I'm assuming this is the default setting). I haven't done anything with the display or connected it to any external displays.

Does anybody know what's causing this? The icon should only pop up when there's a mirroring option available shouldn't it? When I click on it, there aren't any mirroring options to select from (the only option is the "Open Displays Preferences..." I mentioned).

I just want to make sure this isn't anything malicious (with a new OS I always worry about security breaches).

Thanks

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

seriously, it's fine. if you want to remove it, just command-click on it, and drag it off the menu bar, and it's gone.

you can check the settings in System Preferences>Displays if you want to as well.

3. shoehornhands thread starter macrumors regular

I know I can remove it from the menu bar. Why is it suddenly appearing though? I've been using Yosemite for about a month now and prior to that, used Mavericks for several years. I've never had the icon appear before.

I don't get why it's popping up when there are no mirroring options to select from (nothing shows up where the mirroring options should be).

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

a random glitch? a key command you somehow hit? i've seen it happen before...it's really nothing to be worried about.