Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Seemingly out of nowhere a new icon appeared in the menu bar of my MacBook Air. If I click on it, another box appears labeled "Open Displays Preferences..." and clicking on that box takes me to the "Displays" option in System Preferences.

There's a check box in the "Displays" option that says "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" that's checked (I'm assuming this is the default setting). I haven't done anything with the display or connected it to any external displays.

Does anybody know what's causing this? The icon should only pop up when there's a mirroring option available shouldn't it? When I click on it, there aren't any mirroring options to select from (the only option is the "Open Displays Preferences..." I mentioned).

I just want to make sure this isn't anything malicious (with a new OS I always worry about security breaches).

Thanks

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
seriously, it's fine. if you want to remove it, just command-click on it, and drag it off the menu bar, and it's gone.

you can check the settings in System Preferences>Displays if you want to as well.

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
seriously, it's fine. if you want to remove it, just command-click on it, and drag it off the menu bar, and it's gone.

you can check the settings in System Preferences>Displays if you want to as well.

I know I can remove it from the menu bar. Why is it suddenly appearing though? I've been using Yosemite for about a month now and prior to that, used Mavericks for several years. I've never had the icon appear before.

I don't get why it's popping up when there are no mirroring options to select from (nothing shows up where the mirroring options should be).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I know I can remove it from the menu bar. Why is it suddenly appearing though? I've been using Yosemite for about a month now and prior to that, used Mavericks for several years. I've never had the icon appear before.

I don't get why it's popping up when there are no mirroring options to select from (nothing shows up where the mirroring options should be).

a random glitch? a key command you somehow hit? i've seen it happen before...it's really nothing to be worried about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.