A new iPad use

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Robert Spoecker, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Robert Spoecker macrumors member

Last night I found a brand new use for my iPad.

I was playing a game of scrabble when my power went out and there I was sitting in my living room dreading the prospect of finding my way to the bedroom. After all what's better to do during a black out than going to sleep?

But then I realized the IPad was giving enough light to guide me safely around the house so I used it as a light to find my way to the bedroom where I sat on my bed to finish the scrabble game and the went to sleep.

Why does Apple not advertise that good use of the iPad. lol

Robert

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Because who would buy a $500+ flashlight? Just for the occasional Blackout

3. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have also used it as a flashlight. ;) I think there is a night stand type app that has flashlight mode.

I have also used it as soft box type lighting for photography.

Last week when our power went out, I was reading a book on the iPad. Sitting in a dark room at night while reading on my back lit iPad, I never noticed when the power went out.

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I've used the iPhone that way too.

Though I like to actually close my eyes when heading up to bed or turn off the lights. I want to be sure if need be, i can walk around without a problem in my house.

but if i need to find something on the floor and have the phone i've used that to look for something without turning on a whole light

5. donnaw macrumors 65816

A couple of months ago we were at the Texas coast for a few days when the power went out all over the island. Luckily we had a couple of iPads fully charged and could use them as flashlights. My two grandkids were with us (3 and 7) and of course we were in a very unfamiliar condo so wandering around in the dark would have been pretty impossible. I actually have a flashlight app on my iPad. It worked out pretty well to use to get the kids showers and to bed. Then we just sat out on the balcony in the dark for the rest of the night.

6. Slurpy2k8 macrumors 6502

Congratulations. You're the first person in the world to use the light emitting from a mobile device as a flashlight. Nobody has ever thought of this before, and there aren't dozens upon dozens of flashlight apps.

Why does Apple not advertise this as a feature? Really? Please make sure you stay away from anything to do with marketing in your career.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Somebody left their sense of humor at home today. :rolleyes:

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Search the app store for flashlight apps -- there are a lot of them!

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I do this pretty much every night! I bought a little bedside lamp to use during late night baby feedings, but 90% of the time I just wind up using the iPad, since I read it while he's eating anyhow.

10. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Wait, did you guys know the iPad can tell time? Why doesn't Apple advertise the iPad as a clock? #

11. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

what a weird thread man, but it made my day :p i always use it in the dark to find stuff in my house when i get late at night :D

12. 4zuresky macrumors member

I actually used an iPad as an expensive flashlight before too haha. But I actually have a great story to share with you guys :) I was hiking with my friends one day and the walk was a lot longer than we thought out to be. By the time we finished going to the goal, there was only 2 hours of daylight left and it would take 3 and a half hours to get back to our car. We didn't have tents or anything so we had to hustle back. Only one friend of ours had an iPhone 4 with the LED flash on the back and by the time it was pitch dark in the forest.. we had his iPhone 4 lead the way. We all had to get close together because it would have been 1 step away from falling off the cliff and break every bone in our body. It was both a great and scary experience for me. I am here today typing because of my friend's iPhone 4! Thank Steve Jobs for it! I still use the iPad at home as a flashlight when needed though :D I owe my life to apple products! Apple forever :apple:

13. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

+1. This isn't like discovering electricity or a new species.

----------

Yeah, because no other smartphone has an LED or a backlit screen to light the way, fanboy.

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Wow really? The problem is I can't read :)