Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
I just bought a new silver iphone 5 with 32gb storage, it was the last one in the carrier stock in my city, the box was completely sealed, the phone came in pristine condition (no any scuff at all) but what i found weird is that the iphone came completely drained, at 0% battery, is that normal? coz all the iphones i had bought before came with at least 40% of battery.

also i had another question, how long it takes to the battery to get calibrated? coz with iOS 7 the battery its draining pretty fast, and even with 6.0.2 this new iphone has lower battery life with airplane mode than my old iphone 5 with iOS 7 and 3G turned on (bought in january)

Hope i can get some answers

THX in Advance :)

Last edited:

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
It's possible that iPhone has been lying around for quite some time, so it could have run out of juice that way, wouldn't worry too much about that.

Battery should settle after a few cycles.

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Yeah i checked the iPhone serial number info and it was in that box since the 3rd week of january, long time has passed so i believe thats the problem, but, doesnt all people say that letting an lithium battery completely drained its bad for the battery life itself? :/

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I bought an iPhone 5 for my wife (not the 5c or the 5s) about four weeks ago. Came drained and the Apple tech helping us thought it might be DOA. Took twenty minutes to get enough charge to boot, but it's been fine since.

Found out later that it had been made in November 2012. So, it had been sitting in Apple's stockroom for at least 10 months.

My iPhone 5 which I got on launch day last year arrived with 87% of battery.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Once the phone has charged up you should have no problems. BTW its perfectly ok to completely drain the battery. In fact, Apple recommend doing so once a month in order to to recalibrate it.

zxoraz

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
I received a new 4S last month, it was drained as well~ I suppose it is because it was there for quite a while now.
It works great though, no issues so far

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.