A new iPhone isn't right around the corner

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I see a lot of people saying that the iPhone 6 is right around the corner, and/or it's pointless to get a 5s at this point. I think both of those things are completely untrue.

It's only March, and based off the past few years, we're looking at mid/late-September. If we were in June or July right now, then maybe it's right around the corner.

I'm about to buy a 5s myself, because I need a smartphone and I'm moving internationally the first week of October. Could I wait to buy the 6? Possibly, but I'm not taking that risk as I know the phone will be hard to purchase in those first few weeks. And I get to use an iPhone now.

I also think the 5s might be the best iPhone if one were purchasing mid-cycle. It seems like it will hold up a lot longer compared to the 4, 4S, and the 5.

Just my thoughts. Many people are still purchasing the 5s now, because a new iPhone isn't coming out anytime soon. But as always, the saying of "buy it now if you need it now" applies.

Wide opeN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I agree, six months IS NOT around the corner.

If I had the bread right now, I'd buy my wife a 5S and my daughter a 5C.

I don't have any upgrades available and refuse to raise my bill by doing Next on AT&T.

I'd say the selling window for the 5s begins around July, if you're getting the iPhone 6.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Frankly, if this is true I'm happy. My 5S does all I want, but I'm a compulsive upgrader.....I just sold my Ipad 4 last night declaring I would use the money to pay bills.....

I've spent the last half hour looking at the Ipad Air specs....GRRRR:D

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
Just my thoughts. Many people are still purchasing the 5s now, because a new iPhone isn't coming out anytime soon. But as always, the saying of "buy it now if you need it now" applies.
Most folks have a 2-year upgrade cycle based on carrier subsidies. For me, given I've already spent 18 months of my sentence, what's another 6 month wait?

Of course, if you have extenuating circumstances, e.g. broken device, need it for travel, etc, then by all means get the 5s now.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I see a lot of people saying that the iPhone 6 is right around the corner, and/or it's pointless to get a 5s at this point. I think both of those things are completely untrue.

It's only March, and based off the past few years, we're looking at mid/late-September. If we were in June or July right now, then maybe it's right around the corner.

I'm about to buy a 5s myself, because I need a smartphone and I'm moving internationally the first week of October. Could I wait to buy the 6? Possibly, but I'm not taking that risk as I know the phone will be hard to purchase in those first few weeks. And I get to use an iPhone now.

I also think the 5s might be the best iPhone if one were purchasing mid-cycle. It seems like it will hold up a lot longer compared to the 4, 4S, and the 5.

If you can afford it, it doesn't matter. "Around the corner" is subjective to the user. The problem is for many if you purchase a 5S on contract now you can't upgrade this fall.

Lugnutz

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012
The 5s has only been out a couple months. By December the 6s or 7 will be coming out soon so might as well wait. It's a never ending cycle.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Well what people consider "right around the corner" is subjective. I will gladly wait 6+ months for a larger screen. Not going to us any upgrades on iPhone 5s or 5c. Of course I have a 5s so that makes it easy for me..

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
according to the buyers guide we are "neutral" mid-cycle. but most people agree that if you don't get the newest phone within the first 3-4 months you're better off waiting, especially going from the S version to what will hopefully be a redesign.

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
I agree, six months IS NOT around the corner.

If I had the bread right now, I'd buy my wife a 5S and my daughter a 5C.

I don't have any upgrades available and refuse to raise my bill by doing Next on AT&T.

I'd say the selling window for the 5s begins around July, if you're getting the iPhone 6.
Well, depending how you look at it, you're literally just paying the phone in monthly installments, as you know, instead of paying up front. In my eyes, it all evens out, and is actually better for those who don't have all the bread in the world. I don't think NEXT is a great program, but it works with their mobile share plans well and allows some to buy an iphone who normally wouldn't be able to

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
Frankly, if this is true I'm happy. My 5S does all I want, but I'm a compulsive upgrader.....I just sold my Ipad 4 last night declaring I would use the money to pay bills.....

I've spent the last half hour looking at the Ipad Air specs....GRRRR:D
It's like crack. They really should have a rehab program for guys like us ;)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm fully content with my iPhone 5S right now but I'll surely be using that "$0 down" financing and grab the iPhone 6 as soon as it's released this year. I've been buying phones outright so I have 3 upgrades available on my account.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The release is "not around the corner" but its mid-cycle and I wouldn't buy a 5s now unless I lost my iPhone 5.

I guess it depends upon what you're using now and whether it's adequate for your needs.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA

That's totally your opinion on what the phrase "right around the corner" means. It's only about 6 months away which isn't that long. I feel it would be more beneficial to see what Apple's new iPhone(s) look like and what new technology and features they offer. I'm sure they will still continue to sell the iPhone 5s as it would be pointless to make a 'c' style iPhone 5s.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Buy a 5S, then look forward to the 6S. I bought a 5S last weekend with no regrets.

eclipse01

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I thought the same, in anticipation, from the 4S to the 5, and was disappointed that it grew by 05". I doubt the 6 will be breaking new grounds. I expect the 6 will get fatter in width and will continue to look like the 4,4S, 5 and 5S.
well as a 4s owner waiting for the 6, I sure hope not!

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I just buy the phones when I want to. I sell the old one and then just get into a new one. I've never had a subsidiary post paid plan/device. I don't get the devices on release day though. I give it at least a month or longer to see if there are draw backs.

For me, I go through phones like crazy. I get bored and have a turn over of around 3 months. However, I'm making myself stay still until they release the 6.

Though I may replace my Note 3 with an Oppo Find 7.... >_<