A new iPhone isn't right around the corner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PDFierro, Mar 19, 2014.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I see a lot of people saying that the iPhone 6 is right around the corner, and/or it's pointless to get a 5s at this point. I think both of those things are completely untrue.

It's only March, and based off the past few years, we're looking at mid/late-September. If we were in June or July right now, then maybe it's right around the corner.

I'm about to buy a 5s myself, because I need a smartphone and I'm moving internationally the first week of October. Could I wait to buy the 6? Possibly, but I'm not taking that risk as I know the phone will be hard to purchase in those first few weeks. And I get to use an iPhone now.

I also think the 5s might be the best iPhone if one were purchasing mid-cycle. It seems like it will hold up a lot longer compared to the 4, 4S, and the 5.

Just my thoughts. Many people are still purchasing the 5s now, because a new iPhone isn't coming out anytime soon. But as always, the saying of "buy it now if you need it now" applies.

2. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

I agree, six months IS NOT around the corner.

If I had the bread right now, I'd buy my wife a 5S and my daughter a 5C.

I don't have any upgrades available and refuse to raise my bill by doing Next on AT&T.

I'd say the selling window for the 5s begins around July, if you're getting the iPhone 6.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Frankly, if this is true I'm happy. My 5S does all I want, but I'm a compulsive upgrader.....I just sold my Ipad 4 last night declaring I would use the money to pay bills.....

I've spent the last half hour looking at the Ipad Air specs....GRRRR:D

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Most folks have a 2-year upgrade cycle based on carrier subsidies. For me, given I've already spent 18 months of my sentence, what's another 6 month wait?

Of course, if you have extenuating circumstances, e.g. broken device, need it for travel, etc, then by all means get the 5s now.

5. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I'm hoping like hell for June. My 5 is ancient.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you can afford it, it doesn't matter. "Around the corner" is subjective to the user. The problem is for many if you purchase a 5S on contract now you can't upgrade this fall.

7. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Haha no it's not. It flies on through you throw at it (at Lear mine does).

8. Lugnutz macrumors member

The 5s has only been out a couple months. By December the 6s or 7 will be coming out soon so might as well wait. It's a never ending cycle.

9. zone23 macrumors 68000

Well what people consider "right around the corner" is subjective. I will gladly wait 6+ months for a larger screen. Not going to us any upgrades on iPhone 5s or 5c. Of course I have a 5s so that makes it easy for me..

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

according to the buyers guide we are "neutral" mid-cycle. but most people agree that if you don't get the newest phone within the first 3-4 months you're better off waiting, especially going from the S version to what will hopefully be a redesign.

11. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Well, depending how you look at it, you're literally just paying the phone in monthly installments, as you know, instead of paying up front. In my eyes, it all evens out, and is actually better for those who don't have all the bread in the world. I don't think NEXT is a great program, but it works with their mobile share plans well and allows some to buy an iphone who normally wouldn't be able to

12. easy-peasy macrumors regular

It's like crack. They really should have a rehab program for guys like us ;)

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As is "pointless".

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'm fully content with my iPhone 5S right now but I'll surely be using that "$0 down" financing and grab the iPhone 6 as soon as it's released this year. I've been buying phones outright so I have 3 upgrades available on my account.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The release is "not around the corner" but its mid-cycle and I wouldn't buy a 5s now unless I lost my iPhone 5.

I guess it depends upon what you're using now and whether it's adequate for your needs.

16. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

That's totally your opinion on what the phrase "right around the corner" means. It's only about 6 months away which isn't that long. I feel it would be more beneficial to see what Apple's new iPhone(s) look like and what new technology and features they offer. I'm sure they will still continue to sell the iPhone 5s as it would be pointless to make a 'c' style iPhone 5s.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Buy a 5S, then look forward to the 6S. I bought a 5S last weekend with no regrets.

18. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Until Sept comes around and they re haul the entire phone and release something huge.

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I thought the same, in anticipation, from the 4S to the 5, and was disappointed that it grew by 05". I doubt the 6 will be breaking new grounds. I expect the 6 will get fatter in width and will continue to look like the 4,4S, 5 and 5S.

20. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

well as a 4s owner waiting for the 6, I sure hope not!

21. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I just buy the phones when I want to. I sell the old one and then just get into a new one. I've never had a subsidiary post paid plan/device. I don't get the devices on release day though. I give it at least a month or longer to see if there are draw backs.

For me, I go through phones like crazy. I get bored and have a turn over of around 3 months. However, I'm making myself stay still until they release the 6.

Though I may replace my Note 3 with an Oppo Find 7.... >_<

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You won't be disappointed then. I'm sure this rumored edge-to-edge display and thinness are worth it. At least for me, it would. I need and require a redesign.