A new Mac user - Sup Beautiful People!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DeepIn2U, Oct 22, 2009.

1. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Hi Everyone!

It's been a long LONG time, almost forever it seems that I've wanted a Mac. I started out LUSTING over the Apple IIc (the model with the floating greenscale screen & 5 1/4" floppy) when I was 10 (?), then the Apple PowerBook Titanium.

I seriously wanted this PowerBook Titanium when it first debuted some 12yrs ago (just shy of my son being born), and my only chance to try one was in a local store that is no longer there. Suffice to say I never could afford $3200CAN. Man this machine is a thing of beauty to me. Back then no other laptop could compare!

I did have a chance to use a PowerMac G4 QuickSilver @ 733Mhz for roughly 3mths. A friend of mine loaned it to me because I had no computer and needed to type up my resume for a new job. Since he was on vacation, he didn't trust it in his apartment considering is drug using neighbours. That was OS X 10.0.1 to 10.1.2 (I think).

Well .... today I'm the happy owner of a PowerBook G4 Titanium!! Running at 667Mhz with 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, and running Tiger, I'm feeling like a newbie in first semester college class. This is like having a sexy mature woman take you home to do naughty things to you, and while starting off with a toast over wine ~ you're just drooling with wide eyes in shock.

I won't be going full-time to OS X for my personal home use just yet though. I have a LOT of things to learn about OS X and how to get my files over, along with compatibility and I'll need software. I've first reduced the large dock, and installed all cumulative OS X updates.

My primary purpose other than to learn OS X, is to do the following:
    :apple: iLife, specifically GarageBand.
    :apple: XCode 3.1.2 for iPhone SDK (just for kicks really) IF I can get it to run in Tiger or upgrade to Leopard (target mode?)
    :apple: and Safari browsing, email, and joining networks, word processing and spreadsheets when the PC is used by the kids.

Although I've been a member here for a few years, I've finally have a new bounce in my step. Sure I don't have Bluetooth on this, nor built-in Airport (PC Card), or even a SuperDrive, but it works. Regardless of the cosmetic scratches I'm fairly happy.

I was bitten by the iPhone, and now I have an old Mac. Within the next 3-6wks I should be up to a PowerMac G5 or an Intel iMac. I apologize for the long post, and any future annoyance of bugging you all for help/guidance along the way. Don't worry my questions will be short & brief.

Peace :apple:

2. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Enjoy!

...and a big what up from the west side of T.O.:D

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

You can install older versions of Xcode but the iPhone SDK requires an Intel Mac. There might be ways to get around that though, but if you're curious about learning iPhone programming you can still learn everything it shares with the Mac through a normal Xcode installation.

Have fun! :)

4. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Whatup! I'm also in the west side of T-Dot ... not too far from High Park, well 25mins far.

This will not be my last mac. Installing all kinds of updates, its insane! I did forget that these models tend to get super hot on the laptop if you push so many things at once, but I figured as much. Much faster than a PIII @ 466Mhz/600Mhz with 600+MB of RAM!!

@ kainjow,
    Not true. You CAN install Xcode and the iPhone SDK (3.1.2 vs 3.1.4; the latter for Intel based macs on Snow Leopard) on PowerPC Mac's with OS X 10.5 Leopard minimum. In order for me to even get that far I need to install OS X Leopard via Target Disk Mode to bypass the 800Mhz cpu requirement.

I will take your advise to still get use to XCode ... but that is still 1wk away.

I'm trying to get used to the shortcuts which I'm dumbfounded figuring out. Command+C = Copy, Command+V = Paste. However with no Home/End keys on Titanium, its hard to jump to the top or bottom of a webpage without these.

Thanks for the warm welcome gents ... I'll need to do some searching late tonight on the boards for common questions.

Stay Cool.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Short and brief, the best kind! ;)

Congrats on the Mac acquisition!

P.S. Answers to short and brief "quick questions" may be longer than you expect. eg. What is the meaning of life?

6. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

lol. I had not thought of it that way. Excellent. Now my first major lesson is figuring out how to connect to a windows machine over wlan to transfer files over; time for the searching.