A new Macbook pro for a photographer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lunchbox700, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

So my wife is looking to upgrade her Macbook pro she has a 15" from I think 2 generations ago (its the last all silver one if that helps) and it's time to move on even though the love is still there . It's not just that its too old its damaged too she's using it now with a broken shell and you can look in to the laptop from the side , but still works. Anyways she doesn't game with the exception of Facebook games, and Bejeweled , and she doesn't want to change sizes. Partially because she has bags and backpacks that she carries all the time already and doesn't want to get more plus shes used to that size now.

She uses mostly other then basic computing, Adobe CS5 , and some Final Cut for classes but shes almost done with classes so might not use as much. This is the version I am looking at right now.

# 2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    # 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    # Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    # AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll
    This configuration is $2200 with the education discount which is where I'd want to be cost wise. One thing to keep in mind we will be getting a new desktop in less then a year so some things will be done there and storage size isn't as important for us . What I'm not sure about is what screen to get if shes using it more for photos . Anything else that I'm missing .

Thanks again for your help this was the first place I came after the store updated.

2. rogerh macrumors member

I recommend sticking with the 2x2 GB setup.. Apple charges too much for the upgrade.

you can buy a 2x4 GB memory from another store for $100~ and just resell or keep the old sticks for warranty purposes.

With this money saved i would get the high res matte screen upgrade.. especially if she does not use a external monitor for photo work.

3. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Don't get the 8GB of RAM from Apple. Upgrade it yourself for much cheaper.

4. Lunchbox700 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I was thinking of doing that too if I go with the anti-glare and drop the ram its $2163 .

5. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Definitely upgrade to the higher end 15" model is she uses CS5 and Final Cut for the much better graphics card. You can always upgrade the RAM, never the graphics chip and for her it would be helpful. The comparison is here. Basically twice as fast chip which you'll be using with CS5.

6. Lunchbox700 thread starter macrumors regular

I've been reading some stuff about if you use an external monitor the 1gb is better is that a noticeable difference.

7. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

I'm a full-time photographer. The MBP in my sig (2.66 dual-core i7) is my secondary editing machine, using those same programs. Even compared to my Mac Pro, I'm impressed with how fast it is.

Don't buy the RAM from Apple. Get it from OWC or Crucial.

Get the 2.2, it's worth it for the faster video card.

If she'll be editing on the laptop screen, get the anti-glare screen. If she'll be primarily plugging it into an external display, that's not quite as important. Editing photos on a glossy display SUCKS.

8. Lunchbox700 thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate the help she has another 7 months of school so I know that she'll be doing some editing away from home, and also at her current job (a lot of down time) so anti-glare 2.2 seems to be the consensus . Now she needs to wait a month or so to save up enough money .

Thanks again guys