A new MacBook Pro or upgrade my PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lloydh, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. lloydh macrumors member

    Apr 29, 2007
    London, England
    I recently broke my Core Duo MBP and most of the people over at the macfixit forums seem to think it's beyond repair (economically speaking at least).

    Since breaking it, I've been using a spare 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 with 512MB RAM which has been VERY painful to use!

    I'm torn between getting the imminently arriving MBP or packing my PowerBook with 2GB RAM and waiting for a second gen MB Air.

    Does anyone know whether 2GB RAM would make my G4 useable for Aperture, Photoshop multi-tasking etc. or whether it's just the slow processor is causing it to beach-ball so much.

    I was also hoping someone familiar with Intel's mobile CPU roadmap may be able to advise me of any new architectures / technologies that would influence my decision.

  2. dj420118 macrumors regular

    May 17, 2006
    I am pretty sure that Apple requires at least dual G5's in order to use aperture with 2 GB of ram. Something tells me you might have to upgrade now. I only have intel machines so I do not know how it runs on the G processors but i would jump on the MBP.
  3. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

    May 19, 2007
    Not sure about Aperture requirements, but Photoshop should work pretty well if you up the RAM to 2 GB.
  4. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2002
    I'm on a powerbook G4 1.25 that i'm trying to extend the life of. I just recently upgraded from 1 to 1.5GB of ram. 1) it doesn't help that much, although you going from 512 to 2 would definitely help. 2) even at 1.5GB of ram, I'm constantly angry that things take so long. The processor simply isn't fast enough and i'm doing light photoshop work. 3) I've used this pb for a while and I've never had an intel processor mac. I couldn't imagine going FROM a MBP to a PBG4.

    The fact that the new ram, although guaranteed to work in my laptop by crucial, has caused 3 crashes in the past 3 days means I'm super angry. I'm praying a new MBP comes out next tuesday so I can return this 1GB stick to crucial and sell my pb on ebay.
  5. AndyK macrumors 65816


    Jan 10, 2008
    I'd splash out on a new MBP when they eventually come out.
  6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816


    Aug 5, 2007
  7. chickenninja macrumors 6502


    Feb 13, 2008
    inside my skull
    buy a refurbished macpro with baseline ramm, and 256 graphics, dont put money into the past unless that ramm for your powerbook is hella cheep

Share This Page