A new MBP 13" much faster then old one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blanket86, Sep 17, 2012.

1. blanket86 macrumors newbie

Hi all.

My macbook ( 2.1 core2duo 4 gb ram, mid 2008) is getting quite slow.

If I buy a new mbp 13", Is it much, much faster then my old one? With that I mean a difference as in day and night?

( If someone suggests an other model:)

RMBP > To expensive and if I read along the forum it has some bugs
    MBA > "only max I7 2.0 ghz CPU, but standard SDD.. But lot of people say that the screen is not as good as in viewing angels and colors are not as good as the 13 MBP...

I use it mostly with aperture for photo editing and the stadard things: Internet and word/excel

I wil get 8gb ram anyway. But do you suggest the i5 2.5 or the i7 2.9? is it worth the extra money?

2. simsaladimbamba

The 13" 2012 MBPs are a bit faster than 2008 MBs, have a look here for comparison: Mac Benchmarks by Geekbench

Also know, that upgrading the RAM yourself is cheaper and you can go to 16 GB RAM for 100 USD, the amount Apple charges for 8 GB.

You can also get your own SSD and use it via an Optibay to have a fast system/applications drive and big storage.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

The base 13 mbp is twice as fast than my 2008 unibody mbp 2.4 core 2 duo.
    Look at the geekbench post above.

My 2008 mbp scores about 3200
    The base mbp 13 about 6600

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Why not just install 8GB RAM and a SSD into your current laptop? You will save money and still handle your applications, and you can reuse the parts for a future laptop when it is really necessary.

5. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

upgrade your ram and throw in an ssd.

if that still doesnt do the trick, put the old config back in, sell it, buy a new one, throw those upgrades in the new one :)

6. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

if you want to have an idea of how fast it can get with a SSD and more RAM check this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1423877
    I've since upgraded the SSD to a Samsung 830 128 Gb for a faster writing speed

I'm selling mine, it's 2 months old and has an SSD and 16 Gb Ram. and it's super fast I want a larger screen and I'm going for a 15" so this one has to go.

7. blanket86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying.

I must admit that the cpu is constant @ 100% as wel in activity monitor. So a faster CPU would be nice as wel. As far as I can rember it isnt user upgradeble.

A far as the benchmark does go. It is the double score. But the main thing is Aperture. Is t going to be sily smooth instead of a lag with a the new shared 4000 gpu and the new processor and is it worth the money to go for the 2.9 cpu instead of the 2.5. Someone experience going from an older 13" to a new model with aperture 2?