Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Looks like the worldwide appeal of the iPhone is fading a bit, here's the latest from the UK.

"Samsung's Galaxy S3 is already Britain's most popular phone - knocking Apple's iPhone 4S off the top slot, just two days after launch.

TechRadar said 'if you're picking up an iPhone 4S: forget it!

Trusted Reviews concluded 'the S3 is light years ahead of Apple's profitable darling'.

The Android handset outpaced Apple's iPhone 4S after just one month, according to figures from mobile site uSwitch. For the previous 11 months, Samsung's Galaxy S2 had held onto the number-one position, measured by a combination of sales and web searches.

There was barely time for Apple to take the balloons down before it was toppled from the number one mobile phone spot, according to the latest uSwitch.com Mobile Tracker[1].The iPhone 4S was swiftly replaced by new favourite the Samsung Galaxy S III, which now ranks as the UK’s most popular handset based on live searches and sales. "

Perhaps with some luck, facts like this will be the kick in the ass that Apple needs, to encourage them to bring a modern sized display (not a long & skinny one) to the upcoming iPhone.

If they do... I'm all in :)

If not... well, they certainly had their chance.

While they may have a nice looking smartphone, it's usefulness (tiny screen, cumbersome web experience) is a bit limiting as compared to the competition. Let's face it, statistics show that smartphones are in high demand. In the words of Steve Jobs... it's the Post PC ERA, at least in the walled garden of Apple.

If so, then just how are we to enjoy web browsing, web lookups, mapping, and everything else we use the web for, if it all has to be done on a tiny outdated screen size that hasn't been updated in years?

What about email messages, notes, to do's, all that use the very same display? Now with the keyboard taking up well over half the working room, in landscape view, the area we have to work within is terribly small. And this... is the future as Apple envisions it?

Once again I say... Apple is capable of much better. A 4.5" display offers a workable solution, just the right amount of room to work without being cramped, without being slowed by mistakes made with a slip of the finger, trying to work in the tiny 3.5" screen?

Who's running this show? The outside app developers? It seems everyone's so worried about how difficult it would be to revamp their apps so as to scale to a larger display... poor babies, what a tough job that would be. Are they the ones controlling what Apple does?

Is Apple resting on their laurels?
Are they paying attention?
Are they in it to win it?

Only time will tell. I'm sending positive encouraging thoughts their way.

Personally I'd like nothing better than to see Apple do what Apple is best at... building a world class iPhone!

I'm ready for a killer iPhone!

I'm beyond ready to retire my much enjoyed Android phones to secondary devices, not the other way around. My iPhone 4S is woefully behind when it comes to my usage... my SGS 2 and HTC One X both fit my needs and executes in every area very well, my pre-ordered SGS III will be even better.

I'm ready for a Great iPhone, with a spacious modern display... is Apple ready to deliver one?

Come on Apple... I KNOW you can do it, and I'm ready, cash in hand.

Build an iPhone I can't resist, one that blows the competition out of the park...and I'll pay you handsomely.

http://goo.gl/LvXTL

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
what's the use of a quadcore processor if the third party apps suck.

does the " speed test" app animation still jerky in that quadcore processor?

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
Personally I'm glad something has come along to topple the iPhone. I have no doubt it has apple Thinking......

I have a htc one x, love the design but I still prefer the apple iOS. So have gone back to the iPhone 4s.

I don't like the design of the iPhone 4s as it so delicate, not really practicle. but the software is unbeatable in my eyes, slick and smooth and it just works. So I put up with the fancy design.

The htc one x software, even with the fancy processor still lags sometimes, that is the problem with Android software, lovely phones.....poor software.

And I don't like Samsung phones anyway, but clearly they are very popular around the world. Touch wiz uurrggg!

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Competition is good in technology...
This is because there was no hardcore competition in this smartphones space that AAPL still has lion share with small lvl of incremental innovation from one model to other...

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
what's the use of a quad-core processor if the third party apps suck.

does the " speed test" app animation still jerky in that quad-core processor?

You need a quad core in an attempt to smooth out the lag and jaggies.

Lets Keep super sizing the screen and bring back that two fisted smart phone experience.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
This is what happens when you advertise the sh^t out of your product. People will eventually buy it. Word of mouth and BOOM. We have a new WINNER!

Nothing new...

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
This is a linkbait article, presenting conclusions based on data that doesn't support it. Maybe the S3 is selling better than the iPhone 4S right now, it wouldn't surprise me as the phone was just released and the iPhone 4S has been around for a long time now, but you can't draw those conclusions from this data.

Uswitch.com is a deals website that rates phones based how many people buy their special deals, and search for cheap deals for that specific phone.

Maybe the S3 is Britain's most popular phone, maybe it isn't, but you can't draw conclusions either way based on this information.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
This is what happens when you advertise the sh^t out of your product. People will eventually buy it. Word of mouth and BOOM. We have a new WINNER!

Nothing new...

Nothing new, just a bunch of really useful new software features together with a massive hardware upgrade. :rolleyes:

----------

This is a linkbait article, presenting conclusions based on data that doesn't support it. Maybe the S3 is selling better than the iPhone 4S right now, it wouldn't surprise me as the phone was just released and the iPhone 4S has been around for a long time now, but you can't draw those conclusions from this data.

Uswitch.com is a deals website that rates phones based how many people buy their special deals, and search for cheap deals for that specific phone.

Maybe the S3 is Britain's most popular phone, maybe it isn't, but you can't draw conclusions either way based on this information.

No it isn't a deals website. uSwitch describes itself as:

About us
uSwitch.com is a free, impartial, online and telephone-based comparison and switching service, helping consumers compare prices on gas, electricity, water, heating cover, home telephone, broadband, digital television, mobile phones and personal finance products including mortgages, credit cards, current accounts and insurance. In 2010 uSwitch.com celebrated ten years of saving customers money.

You can read the press release here - https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...by-knocking-iphone-4s-off-mobile-top-spot.pdf

Galaxy S3 is the most popular phone in the UK. :)

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Nothing new, just a bunch of really useful new software features together with a massive hardware upgrade. :rolleyes:

----------

No it isn't a deals website. uSwitch describes itself as:

You can read the press release here - https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...by-knocking-iphone-4s-off-mobile-top-spot.pdf

Galaxy S3 is the most popular phone in the UK. :)

I stand corrected. While uswitch.com as a whole is not a deals website, it is the "deals" portion of the site that's being used to determine the "most popular phone".

Read the PDF you linked to, then visit the uswitch mobile tracker link it references:

Take a look at the UK's most popular mobile phones this week, ranked by deal popularity and sales.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
...Maybe the S3 is selling better than the iPhone 4S right now, it wouldn't surprise me as the phone was just released and the iPhone 4S has been around for a long time now...

Correct. You sir, are definitely correct.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I stand corrected. While uswitch.com as a whole is not a deals website, it is the "deals" portion of the site that's being used to determine the "most popular phone".

Read the PDF you linked to, then visit the uswitch mobile tracker link it references:

The same page says "Statistics are derived from uSwitch.com, plus our network of mobile phone comparison partners."

If uSwitch saw lots of interest in the S3 but everywhere else saw interest in the 4S, then the 4S would be the winner, but it's not.

Samsung phones are incredibly popular here.

Look at amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/mobile-phones-smartphones/b/ref=sa_menu_phsacc3?ie=UTF8&node=560820

The five most popular smartphones are all Samsungs.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
The same page says "Statistics are derived from uSwitch.com, plus our network of mobile phone comparison partners."

If uSwitch saw lots of interest in the S3 but everywhere else saw interest in the 4S, then the 4S would be the winner, but it's not.

Samsung phones are incredibly popular here.

Look at amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/mobile-phones-smartphones/b/ref=sa_menu_phsacc3?ie=UTF8&node=560820

The five most popular smartphones are all Samsungs.

You cannot make statements for an entire country, based on the web traffic patterns of a few specific websites. You can say, "most popular phone on uswitch.com and our affiliate mobile phone comparison websites.", but you cannot say "Most popular phone in the UK."

Again, I'm not saying it isn't the most popular, I'm simply saying you cannot make that conclusion from the data presented.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You cannot make statements for an entire country, based on the web traffic patterns of a few specific websites. You can say, "most popular phone on uswitch.com and our affiliate mobile phone comparison websites.", but you cannot say "Most popular phone in the UK."

Again, I'm not saying it isn't the most popular, I'm simply saying you cannot make that conclusion from the data presented.

Of course you can. It's just like representative surveys. All of the customer satisfaction surveys about various devices put Apple as the top dog, but I have personally never been asked about whether I'm satisfied with my iPad. Does that mean the findings are invalid? No it does not; it just means that the findings are a representative sample.

You could say the same about this. Unless you're suggesting that everybody who is interested in a Galaxy S3 goes to uSwitch and its' partner sites but nowhere else, I don't see how you can say the data presented can't be used in the way that it has.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Of course you can. It's just like representative surveys. All of the customer satisfaction surveys about various devices put Apple as the top dog, but I have personally never been asked about whether I'm satisfied with my iPad. Does that mean the findings are invalid? No it does not; it just means that the findings are a representative sample.

You could say the same about this. Unless you're suggesting that everybody who is interested in a Galaxy S3 goes to uSwitch and its' partner sites but nowhere else, I don't see how you can say the data presented can't be used in the way that it has.

There are many problems with this, but I'll just list the top two that come to mind:

1. This is not a representative survey, because it only takes into account people who visit uswitch and it's partner sites. It is not random.

2. Apple has its own website, and many physical stores across the country. Samsung does not. It is quite possible that the vast majority of people who want an iPhone go either Apple's website, or an Apple store. The data being referred to in this article does not take into account those searches, or those sales.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
There are many problems with this, but I'll just list the top two that come to mind:

1. This is not a representative survey, because it only takes into account people who visit uswitch and it's partner sites. It is not random.

2. Apple has its own website, and many physical stores across the country. Samsung does not. It is quite possible that the vast majority of people who want an iPhone go either Apple's website, or an Apple store. The data being referred to in this article does not take into account those searches, or those sales.

1. That's why I said "like representative surveys," not that it actually was one. uSwitch has no affiliation with Samsung and no reason to attract people interested in Samsung devices more than any other manufacturer. Therefore the data gathered, in theory, shouldn't be any different to if they hit the streets and asked random people.

2. This is a better point than your first one, however I don't think that the vast majority would go to an Apple store as they only have 33 in the UK, with many cities (including mine) left out completely. I don't have an answer for your point about the online store, other than to say it would probably be in Apples best interests to release figures when the media is reporting that a rival is the most popular device in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.