A new site design and opinions are valued

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jlewis2k1, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

So, I decided to start redesigning my website. I want to know what should be changed, be added or be removed.

New Design
    Old Design

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I definitely like the "old" colors better- there's a lot more variation that allows you to emphasize different aspects of your site. I do not like the diagonal-lined background in the new design, and overall I think the new design looks a little...I don't know, "toy-like" ? Hard to describe...

3. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

I feel like the colors are too light. It's hard to make out different sections, and see what's important and what's not.
    (Title, menu, links, etc.)

A little bit more color will definitely help out the look and feel.

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I don't really like either to be honest.

The new one is a step in the right direction with a more modern simple look, but you need to work on typefaces, layouts, and colors.

Good luck!

-Omi

5. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

Definitely not enough contrast and the striped background is distracting.

6. Scippy macrumors regular

I think, if you could get a color between the two it would look better.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Old site font contrast too low though.

Both sites need better color selections.

8. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Don't like the old one, the header/ logo on left is too dark to be properly visible and can't read what it says.
    I like the colours of the new one, more inviting and contrary to what everyone else is saying I like the stripes, it's different, and they are light and not massively visible so it just gives a nice appearance.
    New site: on top-right corner I think it would be better if the blue box finished flush, neat with its light blue container.
    I like the white line going over the top, and horizontal rule that defines the line of the text, I would like to see it used on the left. Logo's much better on new, clear and easy to read. I like the new site.

9. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Poor contrast and drab colors on both, they both look sterile. There's a place between clean and crisp and personality where this falls.

10. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

I like where you are going with the new one. I do not like the old one, way too dark IMO.

A few notes:

1- I would build the nav links into the top bar along the bottom, horizontally.

2- I would not display promotions is the nav/logo bar. Move them to one of the secondary content sections.

3- I would move all secondary content boxes either to the right or left, seems more logical if they were on the right but that doesn't really matter. They are very distracting in the layout they are in now.

4- The text color needs to be changed, maybe only in the main content area.

I love the nav bar and the footer though. I think they look great. The logo is also pretty nice.

11. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Looks to me like you never really got the old one going in the right direction, much less the new one. Looking at the source code it looks like you have never had any formal training and to be honest they both look bad. Websites should look professional and spread the message of your business.

Take a look at these. Bring the graphics up.

http://www.seminolehardrocktampa.com
    http://www.invisionindustries.com/
    http://www.hardrock.com/
    http://rainmaker.com/
    http://www.houseofblues.com/

Is it me or is any old person trying to be a graphic artist / web developer these days

12. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Its not you, and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I would love to get into graphic design. Some people have an eye, others don't.

13. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Your New design doesn't look 1024x768 friendly.

14. omgitzjoie macrumors newbie

Honestly, I do not like either.. especially the new one :(

HOWEVER, I think that if you tweaked the old one, it might actually work. The colors are horrible (though not as bad as the new one). You need to figure out a good color combination that looks good and also read-able. The top bar is especially hard to read. Consider more contrast.

Maybe this site will help you with the colors: http://www.colorcombos.com/

You should also change the padding on the cells. The text looks cramped in there and giving some breathing room would help.

Also, it might just be me but I've never been a fan of marquees.

15. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Not really fond of either design....
    I do have some suggestions, however, after looking at the source code.
    1. Use an external stylesheet. This allows you to make changes to the style in one location and have it change on every page, instead of updating each page's style sheet.
    2. Organize your code using indents and blocks. Sorry, but that code is a nightmare to read.
    3. Finally, get rid of the tables. Try to create the layout using only CSS. So for the HTML, stick to div elements.

16. Wakakanada macrumors regular

I do not like the new faded colours. The old site was more captivating but too compressed feeling for my tastes.