A new sunflower arrives in my 'garden'

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CooperBox, Aug 24, 2016.

1. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I was looking through my local ads last week, and spotted a G4 iMac. Initially I wasn't too interested (as I have several different models) and quickly moved on to other ads.
    Some time later my curiosity took over, and I checked the ad again. It was the later 17" PowerMac6.1 model with USB2 and 1.25GHz. Did I need another? Not really. Then I saw the asking price, and that the seller was just a short drive away. A phone call and 20mins later I was ringing his doorbell.
    Some might say it had been 'buchered' as it was running Lubunto 12. He showed me some of the basic features which seemed interesting, and as the deal included a good looking keyboard , mouse and a Panther CD (no separate speakers) I took it.
    Next day and a few hours use later, the OS left me rather cold. I could see no way to eject the CD tray from the system, and the keyboard wouldn't activate it either. Also no obvious way to control the screen brightness which was on max. An e-mail to the seller and a reply gave me several ideas to try none of which were positive. I wasn't really concerned as I'd already decided to install Tiger or Leopard, and do a full internal strip, and full clean - as all these 'old-girls' are usually crying out for. Plus I love working on these!
    With a replacement optical drive installed, now spotless inside & re-pasted, I fired her up and installed Tiger over Firewire from another iMac.
    At the end of this just prior to powering down, I felt that the whole dome was exceedingly hot. With my hand over the exhaust I could feel no air escaping - the fan wasn't working. Bummer! And I swear at that moment I could have broken and fried an egg on the top of the dome within 5 mins, it felt that hot. I quickly ran temperature sensor - which showed 60deg C, then rapidly shut-down.
    It took moments to open up again and find the problem which was immediately obvious.
    I'd previously gone right in, removing the fan too in order to clean it perfectly, and re-lube the spindle. Having done these tasks several times before, one can become just a little too complacent - on this occasion I'd overlooked refitting the fan connector.

iMac-Fan-connector.jpg

With heat-sink re-cleaned/re-pasted, everything performed perfectly and looked pretty good.

iMac17 New1.jpg

iMac17-New2.jpg
    This is such a nice one I'll probably keep it for a bit, as once given tender loving care, I find it hard to part with my newly adopted family members.
    I love how these 1.25GHz models perform under Tiger (and Leopard too). It could possibly be the next candidate for an SSD.

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

3. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Ace2617

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

For some reason, I just love seeing these Macs running 10.4. Such a clean Dock and menu bar on a very simple clean design.

5. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Looks gorgeous - and the wallpaper is the icing on the cake!
    I really like that kind of art of the Twenties.
    (Would you send me a copy of that picture via PN?)
    I definitely have to get my iMacG4 off the shelves just to copy that!

6. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

iMacs G4s are wonderful computers. I keep mine in my kitchen for music and recipes, and because it's one of the best-looking computers in the house :)
    IMG_5295.jpg

7. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I know it's supposed to be like a sunflower, but it's a friggin swivel-arm lamp. Doesn't mean I hate it (quite the opposite!), but I don't get how it's supposed to evoke a sunflower.

8. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

The next time you see a field of sunflowers on a sunny day, take an early morning photo. Again at midday whilst standing in the same spot, and another in the evening. What will you observe? You'll see that the sunflower has rotated approx 180deg through it's horizontal axis, with also a variation in it's vertical axis. The iMac G4 is able to move through a similar path. This is one feature that makes them so unique.
    Steve Jobs is reported to have had the idea whilst walking through his wife's garden discussing a new iMac design together with Jonathan Ives, with the comment, "It should look like a sunflower."

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Aug 28, 2016 ---
    I agree about it being one of the best-looking computers. Ever! And I've just taken delivery of a 20th Anniversary Mac! (more on that in a future post).
    Now if I was asked to part with my 2004 17" iMac (PowerMac6.1), 1.25MHz G4 Cube or TAM, based on esthetics alone, imho the iMac would probably win the day.

9. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

@CooperBox: thanks for the Wallpaper! Looks great - though I didn't manage to recover my iMac from the shelves - lazy sunny sunday ...
    You told about your iMac running hot up to 70°C without the fan running. To be honest, that's meant to be still "my normal" temperature-level on my PBG4 15" when running a few power-consuming tasks. I'm using G4FanControl to put the threshold up to 75° for the CPU to stop the fans from runnung all the time and 70-75° is the upper-level steady-stade without fans.
    I wonder, if this is good or bad on the long run ... Maybe continous healthy "reflowing" the board, hehe?
    As for using any Tiger-Macs for music I currently have no clue how to max them out except from copying my whole music library to the device to have the comfort of creating playlists, since I couldn't find a way to do this with music streamt via iTunes-sharing ... Do I miss anything?
    Radio is fine with iTunes. Collected the whole bunch of my favourite radio-stations to be streamt with iTunes. Better than our old steam-radio.
    Currently an iBookG3 Snow is doing that job - also to get rid of the keyboard-smell (it's increasing all the time, when the lid is close). Maybe it smell will change to garlic some day ...