A New Venture

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Squilly, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Been a little while since I posted one of these, won't make it too long but it's *partially* different (sorry in advance mods - close thread at your discretion). Wanted to go over the current business that some of you already know of and something none of you know of (yay). Will try to keep this short.
    So first, the Polish deal. Deal fell through, very little business is being done with them, don't know much of why but brother returned half the sign on bonus he received, original contract with them is now void. I'm pretty sure they found someone else - oh well. Now, he has a very large deal pending with Vodafone, a prominent carrier in Europe. He has a contract and a test order for iPhone's pending and multiple countries he'll be shipping to, in the millions of dollars. India, parts of Africa, and a couple others. He was actually competing with Verizon to fulfill Vodafone's order and beat their prices by $55, presumably due to Verizon's profit margin they must keep, my brothers margin's are tighter. That's his primary focus.
    Secondly, completely new, I won't say much. He (and possibly myself) is going into the food business, more specifically yogurt. He thought of a design different from current products beneficial to the consumer without much of a difference per say... He has a design patent pending and schematics made. The big part of the story is he has a big connection. He works for a convenience store, and one the store managers at another store location he knows has a connection with Yoplait - an executive there. My brother sat down with him, and the executive worked some magic and got a meeting/presentation set up with General Mills in California to pitch his idea. Don't know too much yet, but the idea behind it isn't the yogurt, but the cup itself. Purposely being a bit more vague with this one to protect the idea. Exciting, eh?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

[​IMG]

Good luck and all, but I sincerely hope your brother has a real job to fall back on when his next get rich quick scheme falls through.

4. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I don't think "get rich quick scheme" is accurate. He's been at the other business for four years or so and it just started to take off.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You shall call this new yogurt "squogurt", and it will be good.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Squigurt? Squillgurt? Such a lovely mouthfeel.

7. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Right now, the name is unintuitive, he's calling it Yogurt To Go. The logo is even worse.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Sounds like a winner!

9. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

He could call it Yoguilly. Kinda gives it an exotic, foreign air.

Unless your brother's forcing people to eat the yogurt onsite, I'd say that's a pretty intuitive name.

11. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

While the yogurt is very much a culture thing, they could push the point that it's 'moldy milk'

KGB

12. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Because Go-Gurt is already taken? :D
    [​IMG]

I keed, I keed.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I'll tell you one thing, I'm not a huge fan of the stuff.

...but I like cottage cheese. Go fig. :p

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Squilly, when ever I read one of your posts, I have one of two thoughts.:cool:

1. Do really believe that anybody with half a brain believes this Tall Tale.:confused:

2. That you are the most gullible person I have in 70 years come into contact with.;)

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Ho, ho, ho, it's that time of the year again! The theme for christmas delusion this year will be yogurt.

16. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I don't see it as being different/standing out or catchy. No other brand has a name similar to that. There's Gogurt but that's catchier in one word.

----------

I hope they believe me. I'd be banned long ago if mods (Maflynn in particular since he tends to watch over them most of the time) thought I was trolling.

----------

No one is mentioning the prospects of General Mills asking him to have a meeting in California. That counts for something doesn't it? With the other business, he's met with Verizon and Vodafone execs before. Still baffles me that Vodafone doesn't sell Apple products yet. I saw a Vodafone store while in London, didn't go in though. Coincidentally saw an Apple Store near by.

----------

That's also a children's yogurt brand. This is niched towards adults.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/iphone/index.htm

If your brother took 12 seconds to Google "Vodafone iPhone" he would see that they do sell the iPhone and iPad and that something fishy is going on because Vodafone wouldn't have to go through some kid in Pennsylvania to obtain Apple products.

18. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Maybe it's a similar situation such that most of the U.S. carriers go through Brightstar instead of Apple directly. Same situation.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Shocking that the Polish deal fell through. :rolleyes:

Why would Vodaphone be dealing with Squally and The Beav when they do business directly with Apple? Once again, it makes no sense.

Can I interest you in a beautiful, 100 year old bridge?

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I know someone who works for Vodafone.

Nope, it doesn't work like that.

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

That is incorrect.

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hi! I see you've met Squilly. My advice is to not get hung up on silly things like fact and fiction: just enjoy the ride.

----------

I can see the meeting now! "Uhh, yeah, it's adult Gogurt but with an unintuitive name and an even worse logo!"

So why is the meeting in CA?

23. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Subsidiaries of US cellular companies (ie. Sprint) like iMobile don't go through Apple. Maybe Sprint corporate does, but the store operators under Sprint have to go through this other party to get iPhones. This is fact.

That's where GM HQ is, apparently. I'm naturally more pessimistic so I could see something like that happening. It's not like Gogurt though.
    Again, as I've said many times, not trolling. Wish I could prove it but I'm not leaking anything considered confidential so people on the internet believe a story, out of respect for my brother.

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Is that what he told you? That General Mills' HQ is in California?

25. SurferMan, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014

SurferMan macrumors 65816

Anyways, General Mills HQ is not in Cali, its in the same state it's always been in for over 100 years, Minneapolis. A quick Google search would have even told you that. And I know how subsidiaries work in the cell industry as I had a large client of mine we raised capital for years ago that was a huge MVNA for Verizon. Sorry, something is off with your brother. Still feel like we're being troll-rolled from the other thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.