A NEW Watch Every Year???

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by atki81, Nov 5, 2014.

1. atki81 macrumors member

Hi All

What I'd like to know is if they're going to release a new model every year to get everyone trapped in a loop buying a new model every, lets say 'March' for example OR are they going to let us get real use out of a £500+ accessory, keep upgrading the software, upgradable battery and say releasing a new model in 4 to 5 years??? I'm certainly not going to waste money on a first gen model if they're going to shove loads more tech in it in 12 months time. I mean would you have bought the iPhone if you knew that the 3G was going to have so much more such a short time later??? I know I would not!!!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably not, at least not initially I think. The price point is so high, its hard to imagine rolling something out so often.

3. atki81 thread starter macrumors member

I'm on the same wavelength as you but Apple seem to roll almost everything out yearly as they've done with the Mac, iPad, iPhone etc I'd love to make sure before I shell out on one only for it to be obsolete which my other half won't be impressed with me getting a new watch every year along with a new iPhone lol :apple:

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The watch unlike the Macs, and iPhones (and to some extent the iPad) is really a luxury item, not a productivity tool. Its hard to justify annual purchases on something so extravagant imo.

5. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I would guess after the first upgrade or two, they'll probably stick to a more iPod-like rollout (back when iPods were cool, at least). A new one every year just seems like it would alienate a lot of people at the price they're fetching.
    BUT, they may sell it through wireless carriers for like $0 down or $99, and suck people into yearly upgrades like they do with iPhones.
    I don't really plan on buying one until they make it thinner, waterproof, and increase the battery life.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

First $350 is about £280. We will probably get updates on both hardware and wOS every year. Could be the 2 gen won't be out until fall 2016 since the 1st is not coming out until early/spring next year and then yearly after that. It may keep the same form factor for several generations with S chips and sensor additions.

[speculation]Could be Apple will do something different and offer S chip, battery and maybe sensor back upgrades. So if you did buy the Edition or Watch (probably not worth if for the Sport) you could upgrade it to the S2, new battery and improved sensors in fall 2016.[/speculation]

Tust to be safe I'm buying the Sport for $350 and know it will have a decent resale value when gen 2 comes out.

7. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

This is Apple. It'll either be on an annual basis or a Mac mini cycle.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

3G in other phones was pretty common when the iPhone came out, so I don't really think anywould with just a little sanity would have expected anything else.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I have no intention of buying an Apple watch because of battery life. However, I would not call it extravagant apart from the 24K gold edition and there the price is really all about the metal. A price of $350 or $500 for some of the base models is half the price I paid for my Iphone.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

When did Apple say people would need to buy a new Watch every year?

----------

You think $349 is "so high" for this device? Based on what? The competition that is sharing commodity software and hardware?

11. mac.cali macrumors 65816

It will probably be yearly upgrades. Apple said this a brand new category they believe in. I think the price is high, but people will pay it. Just like they pay for iPhones that cost up to $1,000.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

While standard watches may be a luxury item, smartwatches are also productivity tools. Big difference.

13. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

More productive doing what exactly?

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you have to ask, you do not understand the Apple Watch, or any smartwatch for that matter.

15. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Or maybe you just don't have an explanation, and this is your stand-in answer.

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Efficiency of production... hmm, so I still don't see how the watch makes things more productive. I think some people confuse what productivity and production is. More productive at producing pre made texts? Maybe...

17. kaielement macrumors 65816

Well Samsung released their second version of there watch less then a year after the first one if thats saying anything lol.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, I've provided an explanation several times in this forum but I keep running into this question from people who do not understand the concept of a smartwatch as Apple has intended it. It's not that hard.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Let's not get into semantics. My wife claims Siri shaves one hour of her time each day, yet there are some who believe it doesn't do jack squat on a flying rock in terms of productivity/production/efficiency of production/whatever you want to call it.

20. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Most likely they will release a new watch every year. New sensors, better CPU, better battery, etc.

What I am curious about is if they will sell the new watch along with the old one.

21. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

I'm sorry for not looking up several of your explanations before posting in this thread. After finishing this cup of tea I will get right to it.

22. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

This is ridiculous. Whether they decide to wait a few years or only one year to release a new product has no affect on the one you purchased. And just because a product is updated every year, it doesn't mean that Apple expects everyone to buy one each year. Macs, iPhones, and iPads are updated every year, but most people only buy phones every two years, computers 4 or 5 years. Why should it be different for the watch? Not everyone will be on the same upgrade cycle, so offering frequent upgrades is better for everyone. The people who want to upgrade every year will be able to; Apple's not going to make it harder for people to throw money at them. Other people can decide to skip every year or two, which will be more typical.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

All one needs to do is visit the :apple:Watch page on apple.com. Otherwise, you come off sounding like all the short-sighted people who questioned the usefulness of the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc. before they debuted.

24. Sonmi451 Suspended

There is always something new. Get over it and buy what you want/need.

25. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I would put money on a yearly update cycle. The key is to not let that type of thing bother you.

It's strange though, because we see a watch as something that you spend a lot of money on once, and then potentially never spend on a new one again for the rest of your life - I think that's all about to change.