a new way to lock down your Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dock Status, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Dock Status macrumors regular

Slice to unlock just went live. Really nice concept. You set a password lets say 8 digits. Your screen gets sliced into 8 slices. When you enter a digit it opens the screen a slice at a time. Enter all digits correctly and the screen and your Mac are now at your disposal.

Tonnes of functionality hidden behind a smart user interface.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slice-to-unlock/id538395596?mt=12

2. lpeedin macrumors regular

Nice that you're telling whoever is trying to break into your system when they guess one one the characters correctly. No thanks

3. Dock Status thread starter macrumors regular

Say what?

Come on ? A slice opens up no matter what digit you type in correct or incorrect. Only if you get all digits correct then the app will open your Mac.

We are experienced developers with close to 70 Mac apps we wouldn't make a rookie mistake like that.

4. scottfreeman macrumors newbie

scottfreeman

But the purpose of locking your screen is that others can't SEE whats on the screen. It seems like a nice gimmick, but not very practical.

(Not installed it, so I might have totally missed the point - in which case, your app description needs work!)

5. Dock Status thread starter macrumors regular

too critical

The app Slice to Unlock covers your desktop. I have zero content on my desktop that needs to be covered. A Lock app is supposed to deny access to your device. Showing slices of your desktop is not an issue. (Some people might display stuff on their desktop that is not to be seen by others. Nothing is clickable while locked. The app is very practical because that password an animation fit really well. Very comfortable app.