A new way to power MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by seekew, Feb 14, 2011.

1. seekew Guest

Hi all, new here to please bear with me if I make etiquette errors.

My 3 year old MB suffered from a power block blowing. It took out the logic board. The computer functions fine but can get no power from the charger.

The computer functions fine if I charge the battery in another machine. It just will not charge or accept power through it's own magsafe port. (Yes, I have replaced the charger, Magsafe DC board, and battery contacts/sleep switch)

So I am wondering. While I wait for another line of MBPs if I can keep this trusty old MB working by creating a way of charging the battery independently (without having to buy an external charger as this means not being able to use machine while battery charges), or even better, re-work an old charger to power the computer through the battery contacts. Thus eliminating the battery!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    CQ

2. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

1. Get a potato.
    2. Cut it down the middle.
    3. Stick potato on battery contacts.
    4. Get an extension cord.
    5. Cut it in the middle.
    6. Stick the cord into the potato.
    7. Plug it in.
    8. Back away.
    :) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously, no, I don't know of any other way to power the MacBook without either:
    A) The actual battery being in for regular everyday use.
    or
    B) With the battery out, simply getting power with the charger plugged in to the MagSafe port.

However, if someone else does, I'd sure love to know.

* I would like to note, if your computer is still under warranty, this is certainly covered. Even out of warranty, sometimes Apple Stores do repairs out of the goodness of their hearts. (I've been there, just be polite and honest.)

** Your etiquette is just fine.

3. seekew thread starter Guest

Nice

I'll have a bash at the potato thing. It worked on an LCD clock when I was about 7!

4. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

If your burnt brick shows actual burnt marks... this is a Safety issue for Apple. If you tell them it smoked and sparked, they will ask you about it but will more than likely roll out the red carpet... As someone who handled those types of events at the Apple Stores for a bunch of years... they want these issues TAKEN CARE OF and without an issue.

5. seekew thread starter Guest

Burnt Brick

Yeah, on reflection I prolly shouldn't have torn it apart so readily to see if I could fix it. You live and learn folks. Unfortunately in that order.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Keep in mind that the computer doesn't receive the same amount of power from the battery as it does from the wall charger. You'd want to determine exactly how much power came from the battery (should be marked right on the battery) and then find a power adaptor that would provide exactly the same level of power. I wouldn't recommend it personally, but I have wired simpler devices to run from a power cord through the battery terminals.

It'll probably confuse the heck out of Apple's battery management software though. :D

jW

7. seekew thread starter Guest

Logical Captain

You know. I just found a used "late 2007" logic board (.2 lower in gHz :( ) on ebay and have agreed to part exchange for the old broken one. The guy may know how to fix the old one, in which case, good for him.

Wish me luck with my first logic board replacement...
    Any advice would be well received. (will serial numbers be a problem?)

Cheers
    CQ

8. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Aw, man. That stinks. However, since you know just what it is, you sound like the person who knows just how to fix it. Best of luck with that logic board.

All I know is, as long as it's an Apple board, there shouldn't be any issue. That's about my extent of logic board knowledge.

9. hxh103 macrumors newbie

I was thinking about doing this to a broken laptop I got today. The logic board is broken (literally), but it seems to run fine off of the battery. I've ordered a replacement logic board, but I was going to see if there was a tutorial online somewhere to power the laptop directly through the battery port in the meantime. As long as the input Volts and Amps are the same as the battery, I don't see why this can't be done. I just don't know what the pins are for, I'm assuming there is one pin for power and one for ground and the others are for controlling or charging the batter - but I definitely don't know enough about this to be sure. In any case, this doesn't seem to be a common issue for people as they usually just replace the board.

Also, if you haven't already done it, here is a good place for logic board installation (I don't know what your laptop model is, but you can search the site for your specific model)

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Core-Duo-Logic-Board-Replacement/296/1

10. dirday macrumors newbie

hxh103, im looking to do the exact same thing.

maybe we can collaborate on this.