A newbie with MBP/Apple questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Audrey313, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Audrey313 macrumors member

I have always had Dell desktops and now need a laptop for school (plus all around convenience) and have decided to go with a Mac. So not only will this be my first Mac but also my first notebook! After researching some and talking to those with Macbooks/Macbook Pros, I decided to go with the Macbook Pro. I came across the recommendation to wait for the update and this forum, which I have been a lurker in for a couple weeks...just reading and learning a lot!!

So as a newbie to everything...(Mac, forum, etc), I do gave a few questions and would greatly appreciate any insight you could give me!!

Ok I guess my first few questions have to do with the update. I saw where updates and releases are usually on Tuesdays and Fridays. What time of day do they announce them during these days? First thing in the morning? After midnight in a certain time zone?

Also, once I hear about the release, where should I buy it? I am a student so I'll be eligible for the student discount. With that in mind, would the best place (cheapest price) be Apple store (or online) with discount or Amazon? Do y'all think the prices will stay the same as the current MBPs or decrease or increase? Any educated guesses?

I noticed that it appeared as though in June when they cane out with the new Pro, they offerred a deal where if you bought it then you got an itouch free (which I thought deals like this only happened during the back to school time). Anyone think that when this update is finally released (which hopefully will be sooner rather than later...I really need it for school asap!), they'll do a similar deal where you get an itouch or iPod free?

Sorry so many questions and thanks so much in advance to those of you who will indulge in my inexperience and lack of knowledge!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Varies.

Same Price, doesn't matter where you buy it.

There is no such thing as an itouch. They offered a rebate on an iPod touch. It's part of the Back to School promotion that usually runs throughout the summer.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The updates usually keep the same pricing or close to it with higher specs

Apple will likely have another 'back to school' promotion with free iPods

I like buying from Amazon

As far as the day and time of updates... anyone's guess

4. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Why wait?....for the average user most updates offer only negligible performance gains that really...aren't all that spectacular. Unless you spend hours upon hours editing movies and pics the current line up is more than capable of doing what you need. Besides the current models are proven. It's kinda like every time a new model car comes out people rush to buy it, only to find out there are bugs and issue that have yet to be discovered.

5. CP123 macrumors regular

Unless you urgently need the laptop for school, I would wait for the update. No sense buying a laptop, and a few weeks later an updated one comes out. If you need it now, then buy it now. Either way, good luck.