A nice little iPhone story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ubuntu, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Greetings all,

Just thought I'd share my positive experience regarding my iPhone. While I'm not so fond of Apple in the recent years I have always admired the excellent support they provide and the people working to make us all happy.

Now recently my iPhone kept displaying this "This accessory is not optimized for iPhone" error which would cut off the audio until I either plugged in a dock connector or restarted the phone. I checked the bottom sensor which was indeed red but I had never taken the thing near water, or even in the bathroom.

So I went to the Regent Street store (even for such a busy store I was able to book an appointment the same day) and told them honestly that I had never put the thing in water.

I've had bad experiences with my old iPod touch when it lost its wifi capability and they claimed it was due to water damage so I was sceptical when the lady at the genius bar shone a light at the dock connector.

She spoke to her manager who said that it is possible for the sensor to be triggered randomly and the dock connector could indeed have been compromised by lint or even a tiny drop of water so they replaced it for me there and then.

But here's the amazing part - after leaving the store I look at my new iPhone only to realise they've given me a 32GB instead of a 16GB. Honestly it was tempting to just keep it but they had given such great service I actually felt rather guilty, so I returned to the genuis bar, and you know what? They let me keep it. :eek:

I have to say I can never imagine any other company doing that, thanks Apple.

2. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Good stuff ya lucky bastard. Once in a while, it does pay to be honest. ;)

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

4. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

This is why Apple continues to make money. This is the model on which I base many of my company's decisions and it works very well indeed.

5. madKIR macrumors 6502

It could be that they just ran out of 16-gig replacements. End of story.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

There are always those who will only see the negative side of the story.

If Apple wanted to take the phone back they could have asked you to return when they had a 16 Gig phone to replace yours with. No they gave you the upgrade because they made a mistake and you were honest enough to go back, so they rewarded you. There are nice people in Corporate stores and nice corporations. Period, end of story.

7. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Welcome to the party, Mr. Pooper.

8. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

They also could have made him wait for the replacement, but they didn't.

I have never had to use their customer service, but it is always nice to know that i should have a very pleasant experience.

9. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

10. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

You have an intriguing .sig. Ok, I'll bite. Which Fabienne is THAT Fabienne, and which are you?

Fabienne Dufour (born 1981), Belgian swimmer
    Fabienne Feraez (born 1976), Beninese sprinter
    Fabienne Keller (born 1959), French politician
    Fabienne Reuteler (born 1979), Swiss snowboarder
    Fabienne Shine (21st century), French model, musician and actor
    Fabienne Suter (born 1985), Swiss Alpine skier
    Fabienne Thibeault (born 1952), Canadian singer

11. Al3x87 macrumors member

i really don't see the difference between 16gb an 32gb. I have a 16gb Iphone 4 and 50% from his memory is empty.But... that's pretty cool,considering that 16gb it's 100$ cheaper than 32gb.

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

13. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Their customer service is beyond just "good." My Mac Mini's logic board went awhile back and I brought it to them to see how much it would be to fix it. they told me X amount and I told them if there was any way to do it cheaper. They ended up doing it for about $80 less. Thats not even the good part yet....

They ended up messing up by somehow installing new ram and the price was raised. I told them to take out the ram they installed to go back to the price we settled on. A day later they call me up and tell me its ready to pick up. I ask them what the total was and they told me its free. (!!!!!) I didn't really believe what I was hearing so I asked them if they even fixed it at all. They told me that not only did they fix it, but they ended up leaving the new ram inside as well.

$320 job done for free. Oh and I DON'T have apple care or a warranty left. Apple FTW

14. iTENNAKEY macrumors member

LMAO! Now that was funny!

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Kudos on your honesty and congrats on being allowed to retain the 32GB. :)

16. RobinHo0d macrumors member

Peace of mind + iPhone 32GB you shouldn't have = win.

17. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

18. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

+1.

They have a winning strategy. reputable customer service + good products is a winning formula.

19. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I agree. I've always had the best experiences at the Apple Store. Their geniuses are for the most part very nice and extremely helpful. I wish I could say the same about their general staff though, but at least the majority seem to be competent!

20. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

21. JulianL macrumors 65816

... and thanks Ubuntu for being one of the people on this planet who act according to what is the honest thing to do and not what is likely to be of the most benefit to themselves. You thoroughly deserve that 32GB unit.

- Julian

22. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Thanks Julian. I have to say the whole honesty thing has grown only in recent years. I know plenty of good people who would have just taken the iPhone 32GB in this situation as its only a corporation they're harming, but the way I see is that at the end of the day I'm stealing from a group of people, or deceiving them - especially when those people at the store treated me with the respect I thought I deserved, instead of claiming I had damaged the iPhone myself.

I'm actually giving it to my dad now, anyway. He has a 16GB iPhone 4 and he'd really appreciate the extra space more than I would so its better really. I'm still really happy about the service provided because I can't begin to think of any other companies that would do that.