A night out without the phone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ericgtr12, Sep 23, 2016.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm too connected to even consider leaving without my phone.

Partly, because I'm on call for my job, partly, because I have kids and if the wife and I are on a date, we need the ability to be reached easily.

Plus its a technology that both my wife and I enjoy, so having the phones don't detract but enhance imo

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I've had a few days in the pst year or so where I chose just chose to shut off the phone completely. I did a camping trip with friends a while back and it the same. I must say it's a very liberating experience. Nothing's worse than trying to relax and hearing/feeling that "buzz buzz".

As for being worried about "emergencies", if I find myself in an emergency I'm sure to find someone near me with a cell phone in the City of Boston.

For emergency situations this is becoming an increasingly difficult situation. My day job often gives me on call hours, so I can't really avoid pages and unfortunately I don't always know the urgency level. Then I also find myself being called for questions despite being not on call. Then factor in my own private company for which I am frequently indundated with communication, some very important, some not in the slightest.

The pager the hospital gives me has no audible volume control. The ring volume is so loud, the vibrate motor is pretty quiet. It's horrifically annoying waking in the night to what sounds like a smoke detector. . Can someone please make a 21st century worthy pager since the medical field is still clinging to them

3. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Now that I have my phone back in my possession (Thank you :apple:)... I am not using it as much.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I have few fiends who text or call all the time - I see them often, and we either email or wait and talk in person. I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

That said, oddly, I have my phone on me all the time - more for photography and data apps - and have it on silent or DND 90% of the time. No major problems in my life so far as a result. :)

5. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Hey, @Melrose, good to see you here - if only fleetingly. How are you?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm all for leaving phones behind and I encourage it depending on the outing but as nice as it was to not be interrupted by notifications, the one time I left my phone behind there was a family emergency and no one could reach me. So while I would love to leave my phone behind, after that one emergency, I just have to bring my phone with me.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Doing well. Software business is improving, had one offer to sell out. Declined it because I'd rather have business experience. :)

Otherwise, not enjoying the oncoming cold. I always feel lousy in the off seasons. :(

How are things your end?

8. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I used to enjoy our chats about the sublime Mr Mozart and the merits of whisky, among other things.

For me, I am just back - literally - from almost two months away (work) which was hilarious, challenging, enjoyable, stimulating, occasionally bizarre, and a blessed relief from my caring responsibilities.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Is it really that hard to just leave your phone in your pocket for a few hours and not answer it if it rings?

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Depends on your circumstances.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Enlighten me. The OP sounded like a voluntary disconnect from the phone. I get that if you're on call for work or have kids at home who might need to reach you, you might need to check your phone from time to time. But if you have no such restrictions, and your idea of "disconnecting" for a while is simply an idea meant to enjoy some personal time not connected to a device, why not just stick it in your pocket and leave it there?

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I'm not going to go into details, but due to some changes in my personal circumstances I always check my phone when it beeps or rings. But I'm pretty sure those circumstances are unique to me!