A not-iPhone that'll synch contacts and calendar with my Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lacereza, Jun 20, 2008.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

I'm moving to the US soon, and will need to buy a new phone, as my Australian one won't work there. I plan to buy an unlocked one and go with Virgin prepaid for at least the first few months (not interested in signing a 2 year contract).

Now, it's not absolutely necessary, but I'd quite like to get one that will be able to communicate with my Macbook Pro. I've always used Nokias in the past.

Does anyone have any advice?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Check the iSync compatability list on apple's website. Pick a few phones that interest you and then do some searches. Keep in mind that the list is not really up to date, but quite often if an older model works so does a newer one if it's built with same/similar software.

I can sync my sony-ericsson no problem with both address book and ical. it works really well.

3. mdgolom macrumors 6502

If the iSync doesn't support the phone, you can try The Missing Sync from Mark Space (www.missingsync.com) which provides additional phone sync support.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My Nokia N95 works great. Nokia have iSync plug-ins for a lot of their phones here.

There are also programs for syncing music, video and photos with your Mac here.

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Sony-ericsson S500i

Another vote for the S-E.

I'm using a S500i, and it works great (contacts, to do's, events, alarms, etc.) over bluetooth.

6. poolish macrumors regular

ive got a sony ericsson k850i, syncs contacts and calender, tasks etc with isync with bluetooth really well. have to download the phoneplugin from this site but all u have to do is put it in the folder and it recognises it.. click here for the phoneplugin

7. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    If your phone is unlocked (I believe legally it has to be in Australia), you should be able to use it here in the US with any SIM.

8. keltorsori macrumors regular

There's a nice large list of iSync compatible phones right here.

9. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies. I like the look of the S500i!

Phones in Australia can be locked, and we use dual band, not tri band, so most are not usable in the US.