A note on OSX RAM usage for the MBA crowd

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ehfz, Feb 13, 2015.

1. ehfz macrumors member

There are a ton of discussions in the MBA forum about how much RAM should one buy to run OSX now and in the future, and many people will cite how much RAM OSX consumes on their 4GB or 8GB laptops. I just wanted to mention as somebody who is running OSX with 16GB of RAM that OSX will happily consume over 8GB of that sitting idle, and will get up to 13GB with maybe 10 tabs open in a web browser. It wouldn't surprise me if OSX idled at even higher RAM usage if I had 32GB or 64GB. It's my understanding based on this that OSX will try to use as much RAM as you can give it to page as much data as it can from the hard drive to the RAM. I say this not to claim that you need more than 4 or 8GB to have a pleasant experience with OSX, but only to state that there's a whole world of potential RAM usage that I don't think the MBA community is aware is possible.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

All of your RAM is allocated. Doesn't mean your software is actually using it.

Running all the same stuff on a 4GB machine is almost certainly exactly as fast.

3. vertisync macrumors newbie

This^

I could have 512GB of RAM and let OSX allocate it all, but the stuff that I do will be no faster than it is right now with 4GB of RAM.

4. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

4GB is fine for most people.

But since I run couple of virtual machines and at times, photo processing, 4GB isn't enough (I've done this task with 4GB, wasn't fun), I need 8GB+

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

A ram thread. How original! It's what we've all been waiting for.

6. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

ikr. But yeah my mac uses around 5 on idle. with 2 safari tabs open and Skype.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

8. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

+RAM != +Speed
    +RAM = +More potential for More tasks at a given time

In other words, adding RAM will not necessarily just increase the speed. Your CPU speed is a huge factor in that. If you add it to an old machine, sure it'll appear to speed it up. What really happens is that there is free slots for storing instructions and data. It's faster to access RAM than disk, so if you can quickly grab stuff off RAM, you'll appear to get a boost in speed. If your disk is slow and your CPU is slow, than there's not much you can do but to get a better disk. If you have to replace the CPU, might as well get a new computer.

Now, if you're running a VM, you'll be needing the amount of RAM required by both operating systems simultaneously. In that sense, you need more potential task space, and hence more RAM.

If you are just on your browser, chances are, you'll not be using up all the available RAM space.

Now, let's retire this thread before some smart guy decides that he's going to mention why he got 8GB RAM and that 4GB is trash. That or some 4GB guy says that 8GB is a waste of money.

It depends on your usage, not anything else. And if you want to buy more RAM, go ahead. If you want to buy less, go ahead. But stop trying to persuade others that know about computers why their decisions are inferior to yours.

9. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Well said Josh.

I think part of why it's a challenging subject is that memory usage is factually based, or at least universally accepted best practices. At any given time when using the computer, RAM is available or it isn't. It's either having an impact on system performance, or it isn't.

So when people interject incorrect or misinterpreted understandings into the discussion, it become a point of do you allow that to continue uncontested or not. Even if it's not to "persuade" anyone, but simply a matter of correctness. Someone will come along and read the thread and be presented with misinformation that they will in turn spread in other threads.

At the same time, there is a portion of the discussion that is valid opinion/decisions that are fairly subjective, e.g. how much "future-proofing" makes sense? or when performance is impacted by lack of RAM, what performance hit justifies adding more RAM?, or whether the RAM upgrade is a good value?, etc.

We need to be clear in delineating what is "fact" and what is "opinion".

10. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

So I need 64gb of ram to turn on the machine correct?

11. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

64gb of ram is too less. come on the year is 3010. :D

12. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

But you can upgrade your MBA ram later if 4GB isn't enough right?

/sorry, couldn't help myself

13. motrek macrumors 68020

You can upgrade it by selling it and buying another. If you buy a used MBA then the cost of the upgrade might not be any more than it would cost you to buy more RAM.

14. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

But if you use common sense and research before you buy then won't have that problem, right?

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

No.

16. lynaris0 macrumors newbie

Is 4gb of ram enough for working with logic pro and video editing?
    After reading this thread I am absolutely not sure on which version of the MBA 13" to get.

17. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

Normaly, yes.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

I dunno about Logic, but with video editing it depends on the type of files you are working on and the extent of your editing. I have seen people edit professional commercials in Adobe Premiere on a MBA with 4gb RAM.
    For video editing the CPU is usually your bottleneck.

19. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

It was sarcasm people. I just wanted to add another typical "do I have enough RAM" comment

20. dsmedic10 macrumors member

I've used a 2012 MBA 1.8/4/256 for Logic Pro with no problems at all. I run about 20-25 tracks in a project w a few effects and synths. I also record up to 8 tracks at a time using a TASCAM US-1800 (drum tracks) with no problems at all. No drop outs. No studders. No clips or other audio weirdness.

21. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Even if you page your memory, it isn't a bad thing because the SSDs are pretty much RAM but with a few extra circuits and gates for keeping storage when powered off.

Plus you can read and write to your SSD a ton and never use all the read and writes it has. So no, you won't even notice a big performance hit even if you do page to your drive.

22. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

This made me lol.

This guy has a point when you open up activity monitor it actually shows it's using up a lot of RAM. But as everyone says, that doesn't mean anything. Still got plenty left.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

While you are right that ssds are much more similar to RAM than the old spinners, RAM is still faster than an ssd by a gigantic margin. Ssds cannot completely compensate for lack of memory, even though swapping is much, much less painfull than before.

24. kage207 macrumors 6502a

No, but to the average user they won't notice it swap.

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

Up to certain point that the average user never really reaches, I agree.