A old gray Power Macintosh

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Mr. MacBook, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

My friend has a Power Macintosh, it's gray, it has no g4/g3/g5,

and he wants to know how much he could get.

It's like a relic, has a sticker that says "Power Macintosh" with a rainbow colored apple sign.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Is there a model number on it? (5500, 6500, etc.)

Is it a tower, an all-in-one?

Specs would be nice if you can't get the model number.

3. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

4. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

LOL, We were typing at the same time. Funny thing is I was thinking to my self what if someone else is typing! LOL!!! :D :D :D

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The machine has almost no collectors value and very little operational value. It will have to be sold locally, because it is not worth the freight to ship it.

6. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    yeah, sorry to say, these arn't worth much around here.... maybe in 30 years :rolleyes:

I saw old grey powermacs at flea markets for $5 each....so expect to find that or slightly more locally....

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yep, very little value...few Macs from the pre-G3 days are worth more than a nominal fee, since they can't run OS X (and if they could it would be unacceptably slow).

A nice curiosity, but not much else.

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

About nothing, sadly.

I have a pile in my room that are shortly going to hit the computer recycling place, just to get rid of them.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, of course there is a model number, he just hasn't told us yet (still).

There are still a few older ones that fetch money on eBay, but it'd have to be something ridiculous like a 9600/350 or something like that.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

some of the gray macs that have a processor slot are upgradeable and can run OS X using xpostfacto (7300-9600 and the powercomputing and umax clones), but it costs more $$ than getting a mini and the system buses are <=50MHz

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Not only that, but it's tremendously unreliable. And I had a G4 400mhz and a Radeon 7000 in my 8500, and it was still slower than my old 350mhz G4 with an AGP Rage 128.

13. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

you are right, i had OS 10.0-10.4 on a s900 and a 9600, using xpostfacto. depending on the setup you can get it to be fairly reliable, but its not good as an everyday setup. everything (disk, video, USB etc) is essentially running out of the PCI/system bus, which has very limited bandwidth.

the s900 had a PCI bridge chip, so the bottom 4 slots shared bandwidth with the upper ones. i had to shuffle the cards around alot for stability reasons.

the 9600 was much more stable due to the fact it had 2 discrete PCI chips, so the PCI game was much easier.

its fun to get OS X running though, and PCI extreme can help to speed things up a lot with a good video card

14. tilerep2 macrumors newbie

Value is relative

Please forgive me. I am new to this site. I have been looking for a site that was friendly to collectors and had good member participation. I noticed this thread and what got my interest was that value, at least by the members who contributed to the thread, was defined as "dollar value." In other words, what is an old mac worth on the market. I am aware that collectors have a different view of the world of Mac than ordinary users, but I could not not help thinking as I read the responses to the thread question that value has a different meaning to different people. My collection of old Macs is now pushing somewhere around forty machines. In that number, I certainly have my favorites, but there is not a single one of them that doesn't give me pleasure. I work on them, I try to make them function like they were designed to do, and I enjoy them for what they were when they were new and state of the art. So, value to me has no connection to what they are worth for resale in the current market for used computers. They have value to me simply because of what they were and still are. I am not concerned with their market value simply because they will never see the resale market. They belong to me. They are a part of me. The value they have is the value I place upon them. I wish more people would just keep their old Macs and give them a place of honor in their homes. You said it yourselves, they have no real monitary value. Why not just keep them and display them as the historical items they are? In that way, they do have value. Once you have two or three or more, you might just find yourself taking pleasure in them. After all, they used to be the best money could buy. Have you forgotten?
    Peace. Long live Macs

15. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Very true, but the OP specifically was asking how much money his friend could get for the Power Mac, not about what other intrinsic worth the machine might possess.

16. tilerep2 macrumors newbie

Thank you for pointing out the specific question of the original post. I thought it was pretty clear in my reply that I was making a general comment on the replies made by other members to the original post and not to the original post itself. I was not aware that replies to original posts were held to such rigid standards. I will be more careful in the future so as not to offend.

17. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Its market value depends on whether a person is trying to buy it to use as a computer ($20-30) or to piss off someone who romanticizes their hardware to an unhealthy degree (priceless).

18. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

19. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

The best thing to do is keep it, the value is extremely little, unless if it were some prototype or something.

20. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

haha.. in THAT case, tyranna's got a GREAT rock collection going on. ;)

21. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

I remember paying biiiiiggggg bucks for my PM 7200/90 when it first came out. What a gorgeous machine that was, with a 15" Sony Trinitron CRT running at 800x600. I thought I was king of the hill with that beast.

To think it's only worth maybe 20 bucks now is almost heart-breaking! If the OP's Mac still works, my suggestion is to download a bunch of old skool games and have some fun! It's intrinsic value will be much higher than any money you'll get for it. :)