A pair 'o D700's

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
898
881
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi all,

Any sources on an upgrade for my lowly D300's, or is grinning and bearing $2000 just the way it's going to be?

Cheers
 

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
1,940
1,034
Houston Texas USA
You will be horribly disappointed if you spend $2000 on a pair of four year old GPUs.

Heck, even at half that price I can’t find a way to make sense out of the plan.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pl1984

mattspace

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
1,416
1,080
Australia
To quote Paul Haddad on Mastodon:

I ran OS X on a 2600x under Linux + qemu and it actually compiles significantly faster than my loaded Mac Pro. I wish hackintoshing Ryzen wasn't such a hassle.
There comes a point sometime while waiting to see where Apple goes with the MP, in which an emulated mac becomes faster than the genuine article.
 

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
445
184
It should be telling, but if you go to Apple's online Store, you will find you can't configure a Mac Pro from them with anything but D500 / D700s.

Apparently the D300s were so universally buggy that they decided to just stop offering them.
 

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
1,141
619
Houston, TX USA
Again, all depends on what you're using it for. If your workflow isn't significantly impacted by TB2 bandwidth, go eGPU. Nvidia prices are nice right now. A 1080Ti + eGPU is half of what the d700s would cost.
 

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
2,230
2,642
It should be telling, but if you go to Apple's online Store, you will find you can't configure a Mac Pro from them with anything but D500 / D700s.

Apparently the D300s were so universally buggy that they decided to just stop offering them.
Unlikely. I suspect it has more to do with the fact the D300's performance is such that it no longer makes sense to offer them.
 

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
251
49
Purchased my nMP with D700s and and 6 core a few months ago for a little over 2k from ipowerresale.com. I bought the lowest config possible CPU/Memory and upgraded both myself later. I also purchased their 3yr warranty for around $250. They have been great to work with and even allowed me to upgrade my internal ssd from 512gb to 1tb by just paying the upgrade price even though the transaction occurred several months ago - highly recommend. I have no affiliation other than being a customer.

In your case as others have suggested, I would sell your current system and purchase another with the config you are looking for. Also, if the rumors are to be believed you might wait a bit to see what the 2019 nmp looks like. At the very least it will have a further impact on current nMP prices.
 
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.