A pair 'o D700's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hater, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Hi all,

Any sources on an upgrade for my lowly D300's, or is grinning and bearing $2000 just the way it's going to be?

Cheers

2. Nugget macrumors 68000

Nugget

You will be horribly disappointed if you spend $2000 on a pair of four year old GPUs.

Heck, even at half that price I can’t find a way to make sense out of the plan.

3. tpivette89 macrumors 6502

tpivette89

You can go the eGPU route with a workaround to enable connecting through TB2.

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/205024

Its either that or shell out ridiculous money for a pair of D700s on ebay

4. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

It might be cheaper to sell your machine and buy one with D700s. It certainly would be in the States; can't offer an opinion in Scotland.

5. mattspace macrumors 65816

mattspace

To quote Paul Haddad on Mastodon:

There comes a point sometime while waiting to see where Apple goes with the MP, in which an emulated mac becomes faster than the genuine article.

6. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

That's a really poor choice in my opinion. I'd pick one of the following:
    • If you can wait, hold on to the money and wait to see what Apple delivers for mMP
    • If you cannot wait, sell D300 nMP and buy D700 nMP

7. Earl Urley macrumors 6502

Earl Urley

It should be telling, but if you go to Apple's online Store, you will find you can't configure a Mac Pro from them with anything but D500 / D700s.

Apparently the D300s were so universally buggy that they decided to just stop offering them.

8. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Again, all depends on what you're using it for. If your workflow isn't significantly impacted by TB2 bandwidth, go eGPU. Nvidia prices are nice right now. A 1080Ti + eGPU is half of what the d700s would cost.

9. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Unlikely. I suspect it has more to do with the fact the D300's performance is such that it no longer makes sense to offer them.

10. sbarton, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

sbarton macrumors regular

Purchased my nMP with D700s and and 6 core a few months ago for a little over 2k from ipowerresale.com. I bought the lowest config possible CPU/Memory and upgraded both myself later. I also purchased their 3yr warranty for around $250. They have been great to work with and even allowed me to upgrade my internal ssd from 512gb to 1tb by just paying the upgrade price even though the transaction occurred several months ago - highly recommend. I have no affiliation other than being a customer.

In your case as others have suggested, I would sell your current system and purchase another with the config you are looking for. Also, if the rumors are to be believed you might wait a bit to see what the 2019 nmp looks like. At the very least it will have a further impact on current nMP prices.