Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
What is better? Intel or AMD for gaming?

eg. im looking at a Intel P4 2.8 vs. a ATHLON XP 3200+ 400FSB BARTON ?

I'm going out to the store today so any ideas?

-Matt

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
What is better? Intel or AMD for gaming?

eg. im looking at a Intel P4 2.8 vs. a ATHLON XP 3200+ 400FSB BARTON ?

I'm going out to the store today so any ideas?

I'll Have to say Amd.Hey crow daddy Have you given up on having a mac?
I dont blame you .Im going back and forth with the whole switching thing myself.Ibook emac or powerbook :eek: .Anyway good luck.Hope you are ahpppy with your machine

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
Well prospect I don't really need a laptop at this point and the desktops are just too damn expensive for what you get and what I need right now. All I really want is better than average gaming machine to get me through my last year at private school then I will buy an Apple for college.

For the price, I can put 1000$ CDN into my current PC and come away happy.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
If you want to get a processor for gaming, definitely go for the best Athlon64 you can buy. My brother's 3000+ is easily on par or better than a 3.2GHz P4.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Definately go with Athlon on this one. Not only are you getting a 64-bit processor, but it will be much, much faster than the Intel 2.8 GHz. Although the AMD processor may have a lower clockspeed than Intel's P4, it will probably seem at least 400 MHz faster (or so AMD says).

Also consider an FX-51 or FX-53 with the ATi X800 Platinum video card :D

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
I bought the Asus P4P800-E motherboard to go with the intel 2.8e (prescott). The motherboard has some device that enables 30% overclocking of RAM and CPU which will give me performance of around 3.64 Ghz I am hoping. I have always used Intel and it is the 875 socket chipset, not the 475 dead up chipset so I think I will be ok. Money was an issue and the AMD 64bit was too much money.

edit: actually mine is the 475! ****ttt

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
crowdaddy said:
I bought the Asus P4P800-E motherboard to go with the intel 2.8e (prescott). The motherboard has some device that enables 30% overclocking of RAM and CPU which will give me performance of around 3.64 Ghz I am hoping. I have always used Intel and it is the 875 socket chipset, not the 475 dead up chipset so I think I will be ok. Money was an issue and the AMD 64bit was too much money.

Make sure you have a good CPU cooler!!!

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
Go AMD. They're cheaper and more powerful.

Don't go 64-bit. Games aren't taking advantage of them yet; if this is only for one year, stick with 32-bit.

Don't you think it would be better just to get the Mac now instead of buying a machine now and then another in a year? Just a thought. It would save you more money in the end. We all know Windows sucks...

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
titaniumducky said:
Go AMD. They're cheaper and more powerful.

Don't go 64-bit. Games aren't taking advantage of them yet; if this is only for one year, stick with 32-bit.

Do go 64 bit.

The 64 bit chips are faster from athlon than their 32bit counterparts.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
crowdaddy said:

If you'r going to OC you processor and RAM, make SURE you have a VERY good fan or type of cooling divice. I can't tell you how many stories I've herd about people firing up their PC for the first time, only to blow their $100 proc because they didn't have $5 fan cooling it. :rolleyes: Like a kid I know says he overclocked his P4 3.0 to 3.8, I frankly have a hard time beleving this kid.

I'd deffinatly go AMD for you proc, Intel is lagging in their speeds the last couple of months. All they can do is put tons of L2 and L3 cache in them. (although a high cach is good)

If you choose an AMD processor, get the XP 2500 Barton, if you have a good cooling system you can get that thing to run at 3200+ speeds.

If anybody's intrested, here the link to where you can download a movie that shows these guys OC'd a P4 5,250MHz!!! :eek:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu20031230index.html

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
It's too late, before I went to the store there wasn't an a whole lot of replies, the AMD info came in after I came back.

So I ended up with the P4 2.8e Prescott. I asked my dad's company's tech guy and he said he services AMD way more than Intel and you are paying for what you get; intel may cost more but ultimately is more stable. This isn't from some schmuck, this guy owns a Computing Solutions firm that operates in large companies. I also picked up some PMI 2x256 PC3200 DDR 400mhz "Hyper extreme" RAM. The point here was cost gentleman. I didn't have enough to go 64bit with AMD so I was advised by the computing fellow and the in-store guy to go intel. Mac wasn't an option as the cheapest is eMac and that starts at something like 1199$ CDN. I wanted to spend sub-100$ and I came out spending 756$ for RAM, CPU, Motherboard, Case, extra Fan, wireless G PCI card, and some other junk. It was a good deal overall and hey I can't afford the best right now so thats how its gotta be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.