Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nahaliel

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2002
I just convinced my mommy's friend the other day to forget the $2400 dell and get the $1799 iMac, can't wait to go show them how to use it :)

It was easier to talk them into it than expected, she had a mac back in the 80s and loved it.. then microsoft took over.. she's coming home!

Also, another friend of mine just ordered a middle class dell, I flipped on him and now he wishes he had got the iMac.. oh well, next purchase for him is a TiG5 in a few years ;)

..sounds like apple is maintaining there current fan base and adding a few pc users to it..

(somewhere I read microsoft is and ALWAYS will be the giant... stupid stupid stupid! nothing lasts forever!!! except apple :cool: )

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
That is the most complicated thing I have ever seen.

But absolutely fascinating. Its interesting to see that everything, including Unix, Linux, and OSX all come from 'UNICS,' back in the 60's. Linux was released in '91, and OSX just last year.

Hmmmm......No Windows.........hmmmmmm.

If they (windows) dont switch soon, I think they could be in trouble. It would be a smart move for M$ to switch to Unix, and Im sure they have already considered it....but I just cant imagine them doing it because they pride themselvses so much in controlling their software development (not open source) so that they can make money off of it. Hopefully this will be the downfall of windows.

I wouldnt mind seeing just Linux and OSX remaining. People would naturally switch to OSX because Apple does a much better job in making it useable, and friendly. But, the minds behind Linux arent stupid either. They could make a pretty schnazzy GUI if they wanted to.

But then again...Microsoft is very very very wealthy. Its hard for a company of that magnitude to crumble. But then again, there's always Enron.....

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by nahaliel
I just convinced my mommy's friend the other day to forget the $2400 dell and get the $1799 iMac, can't wait to go show them how to use it :)

It was easier to talk them into it than expected, she had a mac back in the 80s and loved it.. then microsoft took over.. she's coming home!

Also, another friend of mine just ordered a middle class dell, I flipped on him and now he wishes he had got the iMac.. oh well, next purchase for him is a TiG5 in a few years ;)

..sounds like apple is maintaining there current fan base and adding a few pc users to it..

(somewhere I read microsoft is and ALWAYS will be the giant... stupid stupid stupid! nothing lasts forever!!! except apple :cool: )

Your right nothing stays the same. These large companies go in cycles (proven fact), last cycle it was IBM, now its Microsoft, who know who be next?? APPLE Hopefully!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple

Welcome to our world. Please feal free to turn on your mac and enjoy. As you will notice your OS has not crashed on you since you bought it. On the Apple website you will see great free downloads for programs like iTunes, iPhoto and many others:)
Welcome to the world of Apple.
Or as my Perfoma would say, "Welcome to Macintosh Perfoma."

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by agreenster
It would be a smart move for M$ to switch to Unix, and Im sure they have already considered it....

Yes, they already have. They sold it, in fact. It was called Xenix because at the time AT&T would license people the code, but not the right to use the "UNIX" brand name. Microsoft (then a smaller company whose financial assets were still comprehensible by the mind of man) dumped Xenix so they wouldn't have to keep paying royalties to AT&T and decided they could roll their own server OS. That project eventually became Windows NT. Xenix was picked up by the Santa Cruz Operation (SCO), which later earned the right to use the "UNX" label, and much later owned the UNIX label and so forth.

Microsoft, though, has invested a lot of time, effort and money into NT, both in development and in marketing to try to convince people that NT is a superior server OS to UNIX-based OSes. To switch over now would be an admission they don't want to make, and would also give UNIX-based competitors a foothold for direct head-to-head comparisons, which they also don't want.

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Hello fellow convert

I too am returning. The last time I used a Mac it was an Apple IIc. I've returned and actually haven't been happier. I drew my line in the sand with Windows 2000. I swore I wouldn't pick up XP. Recently I decided that this was as good as time as any to pick up a Mac but figured that if I was going to do it, it would be a mobild platform and would be fast enough to really show me what the Mac platform was capable of. So now here I am some 3-4 hours into my reunion with Apple.... and UNIX (OSX is a Unix variant just as much as Linux or Solaris is). I work for CNN in a heavily PC oriented group. When I came back from lunch with my TiBook, the first thing people remarked was how light it was and how easy it was to get into. Who knows maybe there'll be more converts there one day... but one thing's for sure... I got tired of dealing with my horrible Windows 2000 Dell with its nasty docking station and crappy random blue screening. Now that I'm here - its time to set up shop and start developing applications :) Time to see what this OS can *really* do.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: Hello fellow convert

You're with CNN? Christ, man, you're THE MEDIA. Start getting the word out! ;)

Remember, CNN == Time-Warner == AOL == Netscape == anti-Microsoft, which by my calculations means CNN oughta be pushing Macs anyway. :D

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: switching

power users of pcs like their speed and the linux heads i met are on a crusade (and totally willing to do ANYTHING) to achieve their goal...kind of sounds like bill gates

the users who want cheap prices only have the celerons and duron pcs but if we could even capture a little bit of this market, then apple could really grow to 10 percent of the market share

the home users and new users are who apple makes their great strides from and we cannot ignore this 5 to 6 hundred dollar market...but we are the closest yet at 799, but no banana...699 then we are talking millions of dollars

steve jobs is thinking that way down the line because he wants to give mac os to the everyday computer user

too much targeting towards the high end and then you have a silicon graphics situation and that is really bad...remember high prices and margins and the lisa computer?

Conversions

Always been a bit of a multi-platform guy myself. Whenever the unthinkable happens and I'm able to find a job, I wanna get a new Mac (or at least a CPU upgrade for my current B&W 350), and a PC running Win 2000 and Linux. Currently own an aging SGI box that works just fine, but that is really behind the times now and incompatible with lotsa current software.

Saw this brushed aluminum case that Polywell uses for their PCs. Awesome look. Would use this to run XSI and the Mac to do video. Too bad XSI will not be ported to OS X anytime in the foreseeable future. Then I could save myself from having to buy 2 machines.

TazGuido

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
minneapolis
i need tech help- new mac OS X user

I just switched to a mac with OS X-- I am trying to transfer some files that I burned to disc on my pc (quicken files, print shop, etc...) the mac does not seem to have a problem reading them but I cannot get the files open at all-- I am sure there is something I am not doing or am is it just not going to happen-- I would really appreciate some help if all possible thanks!!!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.