A Percieved view of AT&T, from a UK owner.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BergerFan, Sep 17, 2008.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Looking at things from across the pond here, the perception I have, is that AT&T have a myriad of ways to screw you guys over. All the different plans, hidden costs, here and there, etc - it just seems to be baffling by design, judging from all the posts I've read in the past year.

Here in the UK, it appears to be a lot more simple. O2 have 4 plans(Tariffs)
    Now, I'm not sure if it's us in the UK who are really the ones getting screwed over in the long term, as I haven't checked, lol, but that's the perception I'm getting.

Attached Files:

• o2.jpg
      o2.jpg
      File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
  2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yeah we get a much better deal, which is good because we get screwed on everything else.

3. pavvento macrumors 6502

I think the AT&T plans are straightforward and are a pretty good deal. It's quite simple, you pick a voice plan, you add a data plan, and if you want text you add that.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah but you add alot though which is how they're screwing you.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not really sure... to be honest, the original US iPhone (EDGE) launch had a matrix almost identical to that one for pricing, and it only had a small number of plans. With respect to the data, all iPhone users are expected to get data, so the only real slip is the small number of cases reported where somehow unlimited data was accidentally not included on the plan. With respect to bundled SMS, yeah, I suppose, although it's pretty uniform across US cellular service providers to do it the way AT&T is doing it now.

But since it went from the small list of integrated options to the current system and did not start on the current system, one would at least have to throw out the possibility that Americans feel the versatility is beneficial...

I don't use AT&T... I use T-Mobile. But the only thing that AT&T really seems from my perspective to be doing to "screw" users is that they somehow seem to charge larger fees and surcharges on average than other providers, which is mysterious since these fees seem like they are mostly government regulated.

6. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Honestly AT&T is one of the better providers i have had. My bill is the same every month, i get service everywhere i go, and my bill is composed of a calling plan, data, and texting, thats all. If you want to talk about hidden fees try Sprint, I was on the phone with them every month because i was getting charged for stuff that was never mentioned

Furthermore, if your in the UK, why would you care what AT&T is doing over here?

*edit* also after browsing the attachment you have i wouldnt want any of them plans that are outlined as i text wayyy more than i talk with my phone

7. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

Yeah, AT&T isn't that bad. My biggest complaint with their pricing structure is the text messaging. I think a $30 data plan should include some text messages (texts are data after all right?), and I think there should be something in between the $5 250 message plan and the $15 1500 message plan (like an $8 500 message plan or something). But those are minor complaints at best.

AT&T also has lots of different discounts (business, education, etc...). Sometimes they hide them, but they're there.

8. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Like I said, it's a perception one gets. I see plenty of threads, posts, sites and videos 'dissing' AT&T, so I'm just wondering: "What's up with that?" :D

9. kleo macrumors regular

I WISH, i could pick up that 30 pound terif plan. Im stuck paying for 450 minutes that i dont really use. I love the iPhone and hogging up data usage but i really dont chat it up all that much. 30 pounds is $55 + $10 tax thats $65 total. My bill now is like $85 AND i dont get any SMS messages included.

want to trade :D