A Phone Installation CD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hsop, Apr 5, 2011.

1. hsop macrumors newbie

Hello.

I just bought a new phone however unfortunately I don't know how the install process works for Mac with these devices, please understand my ignorance.
    The phone is a Samsung and arrived with 2 mini CDs. They'll probably be downloaded after another as they have 1/2 and 2/2 on them but the problem is they say "Windows XP / Windows Vista".

So I'm quite lost - Should I just plug the usb without any installation on Mac or is there anything else I should do?

Thank you beforehand for any kind of help.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you have a slot loading CD/DVD drive Mac, you can't put anything other than normal (full) sized discs in them. The smaller sized ones will get stuck inside.

You will have to go to Samsung's website and download the software from them. Depending on what you want to do with the phone, you might not even need to install anything at all.

3. hsop thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I was afraid of them getting stuck inside, thanks for the warning!

Ok then I will see if they have the sofware on their site, I hope they do.

Thank you very much.

4. hsop thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the double post:

There doesn't seem to be a software for Mac or at least all I saw were for PC.

Would it cause any harm to the machine if I directly connect the USB without the program installation or anything?
    (I once had a similar problem with my PC a few years ago, so please understand my hesitation as I don't want anything to happen to my Mac too ><)

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

No, you'll be fine. There's no way plugging anything like that can damage your computer (at least not on a Mac, even still it's a rarity and someone would have to intentionally put something on the device). But I digress.

Chances are you can do most things with just the built in software on OS X. You can use iSync inside your Applications folder to sync things like contacts and calendar events over.

6. hsop thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the help:)