Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Before I post the article for this, let's have a bit of fun. All you history buffs should enjoy this.

The following picture is in the US Library of Congress of President Ulysses S. Grant.

15886u-edit-d2a290bfddfa10011deefc861112e2a063ffe323-s700-c85.jpg

As the thread title suggests, there are three things majorly wrong with this picture. Can anyone spot them? I'll be back in a couple of hours with the article. Okay, Go! :)

BL.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Well first and most obvious is Grant and his horse is pasted in. Tell tale fine white lines around…
Also the sun direction seems off. Mainly seems to be shining from left towards right… but Grant is definitely lit by sun coming from the front/right.
Can't work out the others though. :)

PS. Haha! Of course. As Mousse just pointed out. A three legged horse. :)

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
You're right about the horse, but it isn't 3-legged. But you're finally onto part of it. Keep 'em coming!

BL.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I only see 1 star on this shoulder patch. Since Grant was the supreme commander of the Union forces he should have been a 3-star General at least. I had to google Union insignia.

Ergo, that is Grant's head on a brigadier's body.
I'd seen the article earlier so I won't go and point out all three, but you are definitely on to something with one of them.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I only see 1 star on this shoulder patch. Since Grant was the supreme commander of the Union forces he should have been a 3-star General at least. I had to google Union insignia.

One down! Two to go! :)

EDIT: Make that 1.5 down. You're definitely onto something to pick up that other half! :)

BL.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

U. S. Grant wasn't a three star general for the entire war - and the date when this picture was taken (and/or doctored) is unclear.

However, fascinating thread.

The caption (I was only able to open one of the two links supplied by @bradl) suggests that Grant was 'with generals', but it is clear from the picture that he is not.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
You're almost there, everyone.. almost there!

BL.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
grant tail.jpg
You need to download the TIFF file to see the details.

This is the only think I can think of on the horse that ain't right... the tail. The space between the hind leg and tail is painted in.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
Ok, another thing. City Point according to wikipedia served as the headquarters for the Union. The way the soldiers sit and the number of tents do not match the definition of headquarters with two huge military installations.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Ok, another thing. City Point according to wikipedia served as the headquarters for the Union. The way the soldiers sit and the number of tents do not match the definition of headquarters with two huge military installations.

Boom! Well done!

1. Copyright for this was 1902, which Grant had been dead 17 years.
2. None of the pictures used were of City Point.
3. Grant's Head on another person's body and horse (both horse and body were real), and that horse and body are disproportionate to the captives sitting down.

For the details:

http://www.npr.org/sections/npr-his...2089384/a-very-weird-photo-of-ulysses-s-grant

A Very Weird Photo Of Ulysses S. Grant
October 27, 201511:03 AM ET
By Linton Weeks

Swim around enough in the oceanic photo archives of the Library of Congress and you will spot some strange things — including old doctored photos of two-headed humans and a man-monster superimposition.

But perhaps nothing as bizarre as this photo — labeled General Grant at City Point.

15886u-edit-d2a290bfddfa10011deefc861112e2a063ffe323-s700-c85.jpg

Look at it closely. Notice anything amiss?

The photo is a composite shot of several pictures — pieced together for effect more than 100 years ago. A faux photo fashioned long before Photoshop, which was introduced in the late 1980s.

According to the library, "this photograph is a montage or composite of several images and does not actually show General Ulysses S. Grant at City Point."

Notes on the photo explain that the scene was concocted — perhaps by L.C. Handy circa 1902 — from a trio of photos. Call numbers of the prints are provided, so we can reconstruct the deed. Or misdeed, depending on your sensibilities.

The head comes from a June 1864 portrait of Union leader Grant standing next to a tree in Cold Harbor, Va.

04407u-edit_vert-87cd455222d82aef42c668d979f51baeda13d713-s700-c85.jpg

The horse and the rider's body were borrowed from a July 1864 photo of Maj. Gen. Alexander McDowell McCook.

03862u-edit-cb4f8c5eacc627c2c1c7d20236eabb89ff2ae18a-s700-c85.jpg

And the setting can be found in this 1864 photo of Confederate prisoners who were captured in the battle of Fisher's Hill, Va., and put under Union guard.

15835u-edit-028c60ef917cdd0db3c8872d4d3758ae9cf1b0a3-s700-c85.jpg

Negative Development

The "extravagantly fictitious fusion" was featured in Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop, a companion book to a 2012-2013 Metropolitan Museum of Art trick-photography exhibit.

According to the book, the probable photo magician was Levin Corbin Handy, a Washington, D.C., photographer who was an apprentice to — and nephew of — legendary 19th century photographer Mathew Brady. When Brady died in 1896, Handy inherited a cache of negatives from his studio and began "producing new prints from the negatives and licensing images to various publications. To satisfy the steady demand for heroic images of the war fought by the fathers and grandfathers of his turn-of-the-century clientele, he also invented new pictures that casually blurred the line between historical fact and fiction."

Brady had spent a fortune "sending teams of photographers to the battlefields, trusting that the public would buy prints of Civil War scenes, and that the U.S. government would recognize their historic value and purchase the negatives," says William B. Becker, creator of the online American Museum of Photography.

Unfortunately, "it was only during the final years of Brady's life," Becker says, "that Civil War veterans had enough distance from the death and devastation and the horrors of America's deadliest war for the photographs to become commercially viable."

And what would Uncle Mathew — known to have tampered with a photo himself now and then — have thought of nephew Handy's handiwork? "My guess is he would have preferred one of the many great portraits of Grant taken in his own studio or by his camera operators in the field," Becker says. "The Handy composite shows nearby soldiers disrespectfully turning their backs on their commanding general. A sentry and groups of soldiers a short distance away gaze off towards nothing in particular or chat idly, rather than gathering around to watch the spectacle of a high-ranking military leader posing for posterity."

Some composites, Becker adds, "manage to preserve the ring of truth that makes authentic photographs compelling. This one violates our understanding of human nature."

In short, all 3 pictures were taken the same year: 1864, and 5 years before he would become POTUS.

Side note: Anyone notice how Grant's Cold Harbor, Virginia shot looks like Hugh Jackman, Wolverine-style? :D

BL.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Boom! Well done!

1. Copyright for this was 1902, which Grant had been dead 17 years.
2. None of the pictures used were of City Point.
3. Grant's Head on another person's body and horse (both horse and body were real), and that horse and body are disproportionate to the captives sitting down.

For the details:

http://www.npr.org/sections/npr-his...2089384/a-very-weird-photo-of-ulysses-s-grant

In short, all 3 pictures were taken the same year: 1864, and 5 years before he would become POTUS.

Side note: Anyone notice how Grant's Cold Harbor, Virginia shot looks like Hugh Jackman, Wolverine-style? :D

BL.

Brilliant, @bradl, fascinating idea for a thread, and thank you for posting it, and starting the thread. Thoroughly enjoyed reading about it.

Actually, I used to teach Russian and Soviet history, and some of the doctoring of photographs done under Stalin was stupefying, to say the least; I used a few as examples of attempts to alter - or re-define - history when I was teaching some of those courses and it was the sort of thing my students found absolutely riveting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.