A Picky Guy's Opinion of the iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PaulWog, Apr 12, 2012.

1. PaulWog Suspended

It's excellent.

The screen is wonderful with no defects. It doesn't run hot; I'd barely call it warm. The battery life so far seems spot on. It works just as it has been hyped up to be.

I decided since other family members use iPads that I might as well give it a shot. I'm pretty happy with it.

I got a 32GB iPad 3, just the Wi-Fi version. I got a screen protector which I applied and found to make the screen look ugly (Zagg), so I removed it and threw it out; a waste of $30-ish dollars. I also got a keyboard/case combo which is quite nice, and I got the polyurethane cover (light whitish grey coloured cover). Finally, I got a cheap basic stylus for general purposes.

Glad to have an iPad. Also glad to be rid of my Macbook Air -- iPad in, Air out (didn't need both). :)

2. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

That's how I feel about my iPad, even though I just noticed a little light bleed or peak or what ever it's called. It's only if you view the iPad at an extremely flat angle and it's only 2 dots about 2-4 mm long.

3. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Good for you! Congrats. I hate the zagg cover. It has weird texture and is distorted. I saw they have HD version at a kiosk at the mall but it cost $40 which I thought was ridiculous. They said free re applications for a year but still.
    The wet application freaked me out, sales guy seemed to be over applying too much of a generous amount of liquid. I didn't want them spraying it on my home button!

Cool I got stylus also, it's nice to have. Got a cheap one at first also but I didn't like how much pressure you had to use i got bamboo one later, works flawlessly.

4. Actual Size macrumors member

iPad 3 in, Macbook Air in, iPhone 4s in.. nothing out.

5. daffy67 macrumors newbie

Love my Ipad3, Iphone 4S and Macbook pro which I recently sold, *might* get the Ivy Bridge version Macbook if i get the new job I am chasing as a present to myself.:)

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Wow, what a refreshing thread to read instead of hearing ones from those people returning 4/5/6+ iPads all in an vain attempt to find that "perfect" iPad :)

Like you, I have no real issues with mine. I have one dead pixel however it's only noticeable on certain colored webpages and, even then, you have to hold the iPad 4mm's away from your face to see it. Not an issue for me at all. Mine gets a smidge on the warm side but, again, nothing that's considered bothersome.

And as for the ZAGG screen protector? ZAGG sucks, plain and simple. If you want a basic, inexpensive screen protector, get one off eBay like I did. Get the crystal clear ones though. I got a 3 pack for ~$3 and am happy with them. Don't see the need to pay $20+ for one screen protector IMO.

7. Papillo macrumors member

Yea i saw that i was like WTF! they use almost half the bottle in the application. I have applecare + so im not gonna cover the screen.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

As one of those people, I thank you for illuminating my contention that as Apple gets more and more popular, the bar will sink lower and lower. Enjoy your dead pixel and your $3 screen protector. Not sure why you need a screen protector anyhow, since it sounds like scratches wouldn't even bother you.

9. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Exactly. I occasionally use SOME glass cleaner spray to clean of my screen but they were spraying it on as if the thing had to be drenched in it. Maybe the protector does have to be that wet to adhere but I don't want that much liquid near my iPad.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I thought I would be disappointed with the iPad 3 but the screen, alone, was enough to make me happy I got it.:)

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Apple cannot give you 100% dead pixel free LCDs any more than any other company can. They do not use magic LCDs that never have this problem. Any LCD can ship with dead pixels or develop dead pixels over time. ANY LCD. Doesn't matter whose brand is stamped on it.

Does that mean you have to keep the iPad if it bothers you? No. You paid for it, you have a right to whine about it. But you could get another one with a dead pixel and the return cycle is maddening.

----------

It is refreshing. I almost wrote the same kind of post today. You will get chastised for saying you're enjoying your iPad, but try to ignore the haters.

I had a lot of problems with dust under the screen on my iPad 2, so I'm happy to say that my new iPad has been problem free so far.

----------

I felt like the screen wouldn't wow me since I'd seen it on my iPhone 4 already. It still wowed me, especially Saturday morning after launch when I was sitting at the table reading The Daily, which was already optmized for retina. I saw a picture of two orangutans at a zoo, and I couldn't believe how crisp and clear it was. I don't think I even need to get into how much better the text looks.

I was also re-wowed yesterday when I watched the latest episode of Deadliest Catch that I purchased on iTunes. It looked absolutely amazing.

12. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

somebody get him a cookie asap!

----------

yeah i rewow everynight when i watch p0rn on my ipad

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

They have retina p0rn?

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

lololol i wish

16. AccenT macrumors newbie

money out... Some of us can't afford all that, you know.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's a nasty thing to say.

I am extremely happy with my iPad. It's everything I wanted and more. Apple's Maps app alone is worth it but the screen is just amazing. It's almost hard to go back to using my desktop.

18. dstar macrumors regular

I wouldn't find your iPad acceptable. Glad you're enjoying it though.

19. MacAuditor macrumors member

Excellent my butt.

Was that a *matte* version Zagg screen protector? That is an absolute crap. It will make anything look ugly and you won't be able to see what on the screen. Whoever developed this type of screen film need to get shot. You should have gotten the Non-anti-glare... If it says "anti-glare" it's crap.

20. PaulWog, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

PaulWog thread starter Suspended

The iPad 3 is excellent.

My only complaint is that the gap between the iPad 2 and the iPad 3 is only really noticeable due to the screen difference. It would've been nice to see some battery life improvement as well, or something else that would set it apart.

All the same, the iPad 3 is leading the tablet market for the most part in terms of quality, so there isn't too much to complain about. To say the iPad 3 isn't excellent is to say that all tablets are terrible; in that case, that's a matter of opinion about tablets. The competition needs to get better so Apple is pressured to put a little more into the next one!

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

While the wet application might freak you out the home button doesn't have any holes or openings for the liquid to get into.

22. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I've had no reason to exchange my iPad. Love it!

23. seanpholman macrumors regular

Power Support's Crystal Film is excellent. it protects the screen with no visible deterioration in screen quality.

I has a 2 and I love my "new" iPad. It was built in Week 8, with no defects. The screen is unbelievable.

--Sean

24. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

There is little compelling reason to put a screen protector on a retina display.

You may be able to convince me on iPhone 4 due to mobility and pockets but not iPad.

25. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I heard that glass cleaner might rub off the oleophobic coating of the screen faster.

Is that true?