A picture is worth a thousand words--my iPhone3G experience

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah .... 0.95 ain't the hottest in the world.

But take solace... I was batting 0.05 before (here in my office). Though, somehow, it shot up to 2.01 other day (again, here in my office). So who knows :confused:

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Here are the results from testmyiphone:

My issue is the unstable / unreliable 3G connection :mad:
I've seen this with my ATT Tilt before the mad iPhone 3G rush on the network.

I've also seen this on my friend's XV6800 or whatever (the Verizon Mogul) as well.

Up and down readings are just a fact of RF signals. I mean, it is exaggerated due to the iPhone 3G's issues - but it is the name of the game.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
2.02 actually fixed the speed/reception issue, however because many were scared to upgrade to 2.02 in fear it might break something, they stuck with 2.0/2.01 which makes the network bad for the rest of the 2.02 users.

Apple need to make it unavoidable to install the 2.1 update so everyone upgrades.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
2.02 actually fixed the speed/reception issue, however because many were scared to upgrade to 2.02 in fear it might break something, they stuck with 2.0/2.01 which makes the network bad for the rest of the 2.02 users.

Apple need to make it unavoidable to install the 2.1 update so everyone upgrades.
Since you can't force users to sync with iTunes, and currently iTunes will not force an upgrade, this would be tough. You will probably see some percentage of users on 2.01 for a long time. (I'd bet most users are still on 2.0.)

cjandnw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
South Jersey
I do not see whay Apple could not require all iphones synced with itunes (or when itunes 8 is released) to upgrade to the latest software / firmware.

It is one thing when someone's refusal to update affects only that person. It is a different story when refusal to update affects OTHER people's iPhone3G experience.

Simple, you want to sync after 2.1 is released, you MUST update to 2.1. Period.

Does anyone have any idea what percentage of users never sync with iTunes?

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
A picture is worth 1000 words.

Plenty of bars, plenty of battery...
according to the AT&T rep I spoke to, bars only represents voice call signal and has nothing to do with potential EDGE or 3G strength or speed.

But I sympathize, my EDGE service is slow as turd.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I do not see whay Apple could not require all iphones synced with itunes (or when itunes 8 is released) to upgrade to the latest software / firmware.
They will absolutely do this when the new iTunes comes out. They can't force you to upgrade your phone. They CAN tell you that the only way to use "new features" in iTunes 8 is by upgrading your iPhone to 2.1.

Don't want to upgrade your phone? Stick with iTunes 7. This will get 99% of people to upgrade without actually "forcing" anyone!