A portable HDD that is actually robust

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by luffytubby, Sep 21, 2012.

1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I've been through 3 portable hard drives now and I am sick of their lack of robustness. it's always the micro usb cable plug that gets lose and it becomes unuseable. I hate these flimsey plug.

Is there a manufacturer who had a Portable SSD that is really robust. its not fun having it plugged into the computer when your sitting in bed and it constant gets disconnected. I would have gone with a thumbdrive if they came in 500-1 tb variations.

2. Omnius macrumors 6502a

I dont think SSDs come bigger than 512GB right now. but is your question what enclosures are robust or what wires connect well?

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Find one with a different connector, something other than microUSB

There are tons of manufacturers. Check BestBuy, Frys, NewEgg, Western Digital, Toshiba, Hitachi, Google

4. mfram macrumors 65816

I think my GoFlex portable has a pretty beefy connector.

5. SinkOrSwim macrumors regular

SinkOrSwim

I would say seagate and western digital are one of the best ones out there. I've been trying to get one to back up my MBP, music, my pictures, and art.

6. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

You may even be able to repurpose the drive out of your mUSB drive by installing it into a case you purchase from newegg or amazon.

7. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Desktop drives typically use the larger, more robust B connector for USB 3.0

Portable drives use the Micro-B connector for it's size advantages, as the B connector is too large for the desired small profile for portable drives. Believe it or not, but the Micro-B connectors were designed to be robust, but there are both certified as well as non-certified connectors being used. There is a spec for durability, but not all manufacturers seem to comply. Perhaps a drop or two of epoxy might help things in some portable drives.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

LaCie drives are about the best padded portable drives. I had good luck with them.

This topic is one of the main reasons I went with the large SSD in my rMBP. No spinning drives to crash. Yes, the SSD could die...but not nearly as likely as a spinning platter.