Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPersian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Saw this on apples discussion forums.

Can people test this and let us know?

This can be incredible if true!!

"Re: MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?
Nov 23, 2012 10:31 AM (in response to mittense)
I believe I have found a way to basically avoid this and keep it from happening. I own a plasma television, and since it is plasma, it is a burn-in magnet. I recently bought a MacBook Pro with retina display and it was delivered with an LG display. In 2 days, I started to see some burn-in around the menu bar area where it constantly displays the same image. What I did, was "break in" the display. It involves running a full screen slide show of some sort that involves changing colours and/or images that keep the pixels on the display always changing. I ran it for 10 hours straight and I have been successfully using my MacBook Pro with no image retention for 3 months. I have also had people come to me with this problem, some cases more severe than others, and have done the same thing and not one of them has had the issue again. I believe that the way the display is made it shares so characteristics with a plasma like display. You basically need to run a moving image that has all the RGB colours and the intermediate ones too. This gets rid of image burn I had and it also prevented it from reoccurring. This may help some of you, it may not. Out of the 7 Retina Display MacBook Pros I have competed this on, all 7 are now image retention free. It may be something for you to try. If this doesnt fix it then I would bring it into your closest apple store and present your problem.

Hope this provides some assistance.
"

source:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?start=5730&tstart=0

stormcreate

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
Here's a video you can use....

Im going to try it tonight and see how it goes!!

Last edited by a moderator:

stormcreate

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
thanks! but do you have LG with IR/ghosting?

Yes I do have the IR, I took my rMBP in to the apple store about a month ago to get the screen replaced but they were crammed with iMacs because of some sort of recall, so the guy told me to try again in a month!!

But I'm in two minds about replacing cause I really like the LG screen, apart from the IR obviously, cause I have read that the colour isn't as good on the samsung, and even the samsung's have their own issues.

So I would be really happy if this fix helps, if only for a little while!

iPersian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes I do have the IR, I took my rMBP in to the apple store about a month ago to get the screen replaced but they were crammed with iMacs because of some sort of recall, so the guy told me to try again in a month!!

But I'm in two minds about replacing cause I really like the LG screen, apart from the IR obviously, cause I have read that the colour isn't as good on the samsung, and even the samsung's have their own issues.

So I would be really happy if this fix helps, if only for a little while!

ok cool. please let us know how it goes. run the tests thoroughly! :)

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I remembered thinking about this back before i got my rMBP, as i was terrified of burn-in. :p I´m not sure if that'll really work since it's a lcd-screen, but it might be worth a try if they struggle with burn-in. I'm just so happy i got a Samsung screen, so i don't have to go through the hassle. Hope it works for those that need it though! :D

stormcreate

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
ok so I ran both videos continuously in random for about 10 hours.

Left Safari open on the screen for about 30 mins and I am still getting IR, although running the white bar video does a good job of undoing the IR very quickly.

But don't think it's going to be a permanent solution for me! Might just have to book an appointment at the genius bar!

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I know IR is an issue but is burn in an issue as well with LG screens? Is burn in even possible on these screens or are people just meaning IR when saying burn in? I'm confused. lol

Would be great if it works!

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
I know IR is an issue but is burn in an issue as well with LG screens? Is burn in even possible on these screens or are people just meaning IR when saying burn in? I'm confused. lol

Would be great if it works!

Two very different issue Image Retention is temporary Burn In is generally associated with being permanent, and an element if confusion is possible LG can suffer IR Burn In is highly unlikely. Bottom line by running a moving image that has all the RGB colours, including the intermediate colours your not going to do any harm to the display and if it does help to alleviate IR then it will no doubt make a lot of people here far less concerned.

So far i have yet to see an IR on my 15" LG Retina display, equally not am i going to deliberately going to try and expose flaws with the technology, if the display is good under normal usage then i am ok with it. My Retina has superb colour balance & saturation, no dead pixels, even backlighting. The Retina display has yet to present any visual anomaly under normal use, so why on earth would i even consider requesting a replacement due to it failing some test on the Web specifically designed to trip up the technology, chances are i will only receive equal or possibly a display that is worse or actually defective.

The 15" Retina is one of the best display`s on the market today and to all intents and purpose i would class my Retina`s display as being 100/100, if you are seeing IR under normal use then there is certainly issue, however if you have to go hunting for IR then the issue lies more with you, it`s a position worth thinking about ;)

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Two very different issue Image Retention is temporary Burn In is generally associated with being permanent, and an element if confusion is possible LG can suffer IR Burn In is highly unlikely. Bottom line by running a moving image that has all the RGB colours, including the intermediate colours your not going to do any harm to the display and if it does help to alleviate IR then it will no doubt make a lot of people here far less concerned.

So far i have yet to see an IR on my 15" LG Retina display, equally not am i going to deliberately going to try and expose flaws with the technology, if the display is good under normal usage then i am ok with it. My Retina has superb colour balance & saturation, no dead pixels, even backlighting. The Retina display has yet to present any visual anomaly under normal use, so why on earth would i even consider requesting a replacement due to it failing some test on the Web specifically designed to trip up the technology, chances are i will only receive equal or possibly a display that is worse or actually defective.

The 15" Retina is one of the best display`s on the market today and to all intents and purpose i would class my Retina`s display as being 100/100, if you are seeing IR under normal use then there is certainly issue, however if you have to go hunting for IR then the issue lies more with you, it`s a position worth thinking about ;)

I know the difference between the two, just was confused whether people really have burn in or are just getting the two mixed up. I have the faintest IR, not worth even trying to fix yet.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Apologies i am speaking rather generically, and people are getting confused with the terminology as the Retina display`s are not susceptible to Burn In.

No need for apology. That's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. I can live w a bit of IR but in no way would tolerate burn-in.

iPersian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
ok so I ran both videos continuously in random for about 10 hours.

Left Safari open on the screen for about 30 mins and I am still getting IR, although running the white bar video does a good job of undoing the IR very quickly.

But don't think it's going to be a permanent solution for me! Might just have to book an appointment at the genius bar!

didnt it help at all? i used to have IR after few minutes of safari.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
I don't understand. I have early 2011 MBP and just ordered a Retina MBP 15". For as long as I had my current laptop I never had burn-in issues. Is this prevelant with Retina MBP's?

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I took mine to Apple yesterday because of this issue, after playing with my MBP for a few minutes the genius agreed it had an issue, we could both see it there, he ran some diagnostic test (checkerboard) and strangely enough it passed, after 4 minutes of checkerboard it had no IR, so he done it again.. still nothing, it was a pass, but within OSX the IR was was showing within a few minutes.

He still agreed to replace the display, less than 24 hours later i have it back with a Samsung display, the quality is no worse, it's still perfect...there is a very slight more yellowish tint than the LG but it's really not an issue, it's still crystal clear and definitely brighter.

If you're thinking about taking it in but worried about the Samsung, don't be. Saying that, i've looked at some other 'yellow tint' threads and it isn't bad like the others, but there is definitely more yellowish that blueish.

[edit] i've just done a ColorSync calibration and changed the tint slightly, it's now perfect, whiter than whiter and no yellow what so ever, very happy with it now.

Last edited:

stormcreate

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
I took mine to Apple yesterday because of this issue, after playing with my MBP for a few minutes the genius agreed it had an issue, we could both see it there, he ran some diagnostic test (checkerboard) and strangely enough it passed, after 4 minutes of checkerboard it had no IR, so he done it again.. still nothing, it was a pass, but within OSX the IR was was showing within a few minutes.

He still agreed to replace the display, less than 24 hours later i have it back with a Samsung display, the quality is no worse, it's still perfect...there is a very slight more yellowish tint than the LG but it's really not an issue, it's still crystal clear and definitely brighter.

If you're thinking about taking it in but worried about the Samsung, don't be. Saying that, i've looked at some other 'yellow tint' threads and it isn't bad like the others, but there is definitely more yellowish that blueish.

[edit] i've just done a ColorSync calibration and changed the tint slightly, it's now perfect, whiter than whiter and no yellow what so ever, very happy with it now.

Thats great!! Feeling a bit more confident now about getting my screen replaced!! How did you do the ColorSync calibration?

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Thats great!! Feeling a bit more confident now about getting my screen replaced!! How did you do the ColorSync calibration?

System Preferences -> Display -> Color (tab) -> Calibrate button.

It runs through a series of tests and at one point it changes the overall tint of the display, i changed this slightly and now it's perfect.

When i switch between the profiles the yellow tint is far more noticeable so it was definitely there, but like i say, it's a very simple fix so nothing to worry about :) good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.