Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveydog

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Wishfully thinking, I'd like to hold out hope that we're going to see it soon too, but for those wondering what would cause a delay (if it's only a minor upgrade), keep in mind this is the first (and only) year that Verizon was introduced to the equation mid-stream, and perhaps that somehow has screwed up the cycle....

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
This must be a fake. The iPhone 5 I ordered today from the fellow in Nigeria was all glass and curved. I'm even getting it for free once I deposit Prince Gnumbutee's inheritance in my bank account.

There's something wrong here. Prince Gnumbutee leaved all his inheritance to me, I received the will by email signed by his attonery. :confused:

On a serious note, I wonder how well would that flash work when holding the phone sideways. That's the place where most people hold the phone.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Wishfully thinking, I'd like to hold out hope that we're going to see it soon too, but for those wondering what would cause a delay (if it's only a minor upgrade), keep in mind this is the first (and only) year that Verizon was introduced to the equation mid-stream, and perhaps that somehow has screwed up the cycle....

While this is true, that means the rest of the world has to hold out a couple of months longer because of one carrier? Doubtful. Apple has no problem releasing mid cycle to a new carrier to gain some new adopters. I have 3 friends that were fairly devout android peeps but stuck on Verizon that switched once the iPhone was on their carrier. All a part of Apples plan.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
This is also the second leaked photo showing the flash in that same spot.

Still very squarish. Not liking it.

Last edited:

bennettave

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
I'm no engineer or whatever but that flash just seems too far away to be effective on a phone.

Doesn't seem like the flash-to-subject distance is the one that matters? How would the flash-to-sensor distance affect effectiveness - other than casting larger shadows, or reducing red-eye, etc.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
If you look in the reflection in the case, you can see that the lens and flash of the iPhone that took the picture are at opposite sides, as rumoured.

So, it seems that the new iPhone took the photo.

Or that the iPhone that took it had one of these fake covers on it to really throw us off...

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
If you look in the reflection in the case, you can see that the lens and flash of the iPhone that took the picture are at opposite sides, as rumoured.

So, it seems that the new iPhone took the photo.

Or that the iPhone that took it had one of these fake covers on it to really throw us off...

get out.

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom

Doubt it. There's a world outside USA borders and Apple has released the iPhone on networks/carriers mid-cycle before. In the UK in late 2009/early 2010 Orange and Vodafone came on board, ending O2's monopoly.

Fair enough, there was more of a hullabaloo over Verizon because it's Apple's domestic market and because it's CDMA, but still not reason enough IMO.

The delay (I believe) is to align the iPhone with the iPod lineup in September and push the OS cycle back 3 months (since atm the iPad comes out at the end of the OS cycle). Also frees up WWDC for more developer-oriented stuff.
Just my 2p.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I sure as hell hope this isn't true. I put my finger down at that corner when holding the phone in landscape like you are supposed to do when taking photos and videos. That would be the most logical placement.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
By playing a bit with Photoshop's curves, you can reveal some interesting details. Notice the ring around the camera of the phone that took the picture..

screenshot20110524at143.png

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I don't know how long it takes Apple to design anything. You're right... the iPhone 4 was probably in development well before the iPhone 3GS was even released.
We know.

Steve Jobs said it took 18 months to design the iPhone 4. He introduced many of the team members at the iPhone 4's launch.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
Yep, now there's 50% of the corners you now have to keep your hands away from. I have a hard enough time keeping my fingers off the camera lens. Who's making these decisions at Apple?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
How effective would a flash be that far away?

I'm really not a fan of the flash being all by itself on the right side of the iPhone. I like it being right next to the camera for whatever reason. Maybe it will grow on me... :rolleyes:

The larger off-axis they move the flash from the lens, the less you will need to worry about red-eye. The problem with most point and shoots is the flash's proximity to the lens.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
By playing a bit with Photoshop's curves, you can reveal some interesting details. Notice the ring around the camera of the phone that took the picture..

Looks like we're getting somewhere with this!

An iPhone 5 took a pic of the back of an iPhone 5?

That's a bit hard to believe, so is it a fake?

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I hate this uncertainty of the future of apple products!

Yes it's very ambiguous. I give Apple credit for being the master manipulators they are. I'm sensing (like others) an impending new model before the holiday selling season. The benefit will be to keep up with the flurry of other brands.

The disadvantage like last year is it's bound to have a problem which Apple will ignore & ship it anyway. In turn, that will likely insure the best iPhone in ages will be iPhone 6. Since the 5 will be similar to the 4, it will save many from falling into the annual replacement trap. In addition, any problems Apple has with curved glass will also be resolved for iPhone 6.

The idea of waiting for iPhone 6 is compelling. The more i think about it, the better it feels to wait for a quality iPhone. It inspires us to have confidence that the 6 will be done right & fully sorted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.