A possible way around having to pay for texts on the new plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bob Loblaw, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

I just had this idea, and I don't know if it'll be possible, but here goes. On AIM, you can send texts to people's phones from your computer. Since there's an AIM application coming to the iPhone, hopefully this feature will be built in as a way to get around having to pay the $5, $15, or $25 extra for texts.

2. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

keep dreaming.

4. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

you will receive their reply on AIM, from their cell. problem is when THEY send YOU the text first, and dont use AIM, you pay.

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

texts are cheap your not paying for them as much as you are paying for the internet.

secondly if you have to shave 5 dollars off of your plan then you have much more to worry about then an iPhone.

6. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Once you send an AIM msg to a phone number, they can reply with a text msg and it comes in on AIM as well.

Try it, send an AIM msg to a buddy named +13334445555 (replace with your number) and then have them reply.

7. Bob Loblaw thread starter macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

Bingo. Texting through AIM isn't just text forwarding. You can skip the screen name altogether and go straight to the phone.

8. Bob Loblaw thread starter macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

Except that I'd be getting the 1500, and that's $15 more a month.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, I used the "AIM" app on an older T-Mobile phone, then I got my bill and I saw Text Messaging charges.

All it does is tie your AIM account to your mobile phone number and you receive them as text messages....

10. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Just think logically about it.

Ask yourself: "Is At&t going to let a program on their phone being used on their network allow the user to bypass At&t charges?"

This isn't the days of jailbreak. However, the jailbreak community may live on, but I'm pretty sure many of them would like to go legit. We shall see.

11. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

And then there will be iPhone warez communities.

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yea i've thought about that same exact thing. and I honestly think it will work.. to an extent.. the problems i see are A) when someone wants to text you it'll go straight to your phone. and B) you have to be online to receive the aim from them. that would waste a lot of battery life to keep it on all the time.

13. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

the big problem is that at&t charges aim messages as text...

14. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I make enough money that the extra charges are trivial. Seriously guys, these aren't phones for your paper route.