A possible work around tethering and AT&T warnings

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by braddick, Sep 16, 2011.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

A few weeks ago I damaged my iPhone4 and started using my original iPhone until the 5 is released. Of course the only internet access is via the EDGE network. Not to shabby really and I figured it'll get me by for awhile.

I downloaded PDANet from Cydia and have been tethering my iPad via my iPhone. I have yet to receive any notification and now wonder, after having done this for a few weeks, if it is possible AT&T is only monitoring 3G usage and not the EDGE network usage when it comes to sending out tethering notices?

If so, this may be something to consider and even those with better and newer iPhones can always shut 3G off and use EDGE exclusively while tethering.

It's a bit slower, to be sure, but not really as bad as you would think when it comes to casual net surfing.

Of course my "evidence" is anecdotal, at best as I'd like to read others having the same experience before confirming this works.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You might be on to something.
    Others have mentioned the same that when tethering using 2G AT&T didnt send them any warnings.
    It could be just a coincidence but worth a try.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Good call dude. Hopefully you've found something.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Talked to a friend on the phone a few minutes ago who is an idiot savant when it comes to all things Apple and passed along his theory.

He added his thoughts, worse case, EDGE runs slow enough that AT&T wouldn't be as concerned with tethering. Best case, AT&T doesn't have the ability as they do with 3G to monitor activity over EDGE.

5. DJBBOX, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

DJBBOX macrumors regular

DJBBOX

i think he is just using way less data than when using 3G. i think their method is base on the amount of data your device is using at a certain time. like video are way smaller and lower quality when watched from a phone than from a laptop. also web pages load more media and adds in a full browser. the amount of bandwidth you can pull out of the iPhone in a minute is way different than lets say a laptop or even a tablet.

6. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I think since you're only tethering your ipad, that is the reason for not getting flagged by AT&T.

I've tethered my ipad occasionally since I got my iphone in January, and only the ipad since about april. Never got any warnings. I do not use EDGE.

7. DH70 macrumors newbie

Why wouldn't they be able to detect tethering on the edge network. Couldn't they use the same process on 3G and 4g network to detect tethering on 2g edge network.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not that they cant detect it, Im thinking more like they dont care to even bother with 2G tethering.