A preorder question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nachoconqueso, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

I'm going to preorder the iPhone 5 for my son if and when it comes out and I'm wondering how the process works. I'm going to switch him from ATT to my Verizon account (add a line) and I'm wanting to get him on the area code that he's in. The guy at the Verizon store said he could get the area code for him, but what about if I'm preordering through Apples website, how does that all work? Thank you for your help!

2. Willie5566 macrumors regular

Not sure about getting a new line but be prepared to be online all day trying to get it. Launch day is nuts. The Apple site, AT&T will be down for most of the day. It's a pain in the a--.

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

More than likely it will be a reserve and then pick up in store. But it's just spectulation.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Pre-ordering from the Apple site in the past has always been impossible for a customer adding a line to a group plan. The Apple site has in the past only supported single new lines or upgrades. It did not even support multiple iPhone orders. Last year, they offered a "reserve" for store pickup as an option. Hint you can see most of the steps today by visiting the Apple site and stepping through the existing order process for an add-a-line. Both AT&T and Verizon selections take you to a "Make a Reservation" page for add-a-line additions. :(

The Apple web site has in the past offered you a choice of reserving for store pickup for add-a-line customers. During lauch, Apple has had carrier reps in-store to assist with your type of situation where you have some special requests.

Since you mention an area code, should we assume that you don't plan to port your son's existing phone number from AT&T to Verizon?

A port would be the easiest solution if you really want to get the phone as a pre-order. Just order a new Verizon line of service via the Apple web site, select that you want to transfer the existing number, and once the phone arrives you can complete the porting steps and then call Verizon and merge the new line into your group plan. Note: Once the port completes your son's existing AT&T phone service will stop working.

If based on your answer above you want a different ( local number ) on Verizon that is a different area code from your current registered Verizon billing service, don't expect it to work via the Apple site.

Note: Apple will want to ship any iPhone purchased online to your billing address. Hiint you can see most of the steps today by visiting the Apple site and stepping through the existing order process.

Dave

5. chris03226 macrumors newbie

Complicated preorder question

I was wondering if someone can give me advice on this situation:

I am currently the primary holder of an ATT family share plan with 2 iPhone 3gs's and 1 dumb phone. I want to switch to Verizon (ATT is terrible where I am in Chicago) and order 2 new iPhone 4s's and 1 new dumb phone.

My question is: Can I do this online when preordering starts? In other words, will Verizon's online ordering process allow me to order 2 new iPhones and 1 dumb phone on October 7?

If not, I was thinking of just ordering the 2 IP4s's online on Oct. 7 and calling customer service to add the dumb phone to the order. I assume the 3 phone lines will be ported at the same time once the phones arrive?

Also sort of a related question:
    When I got my 3gs's and dumb phone 2 years ago an ATT store employee let me preorder/reserve the phones a week prior to launch. I went there on launch day and picked up my reserved phones. Does anyone know if Verizon does this?

Thanks in advance!