Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Hey everybody! I have a really long story here to tell so please bare with me.

So my mom has an '05 Yukon XL SLT; fully loaded and it has 43k miles. It's pretty great truck. Our neighbors have a '02 Yukon XL Denali with 130k miles. So yesterday my mom calls me (i'm at work) and says "Hey Ryan, pick me out a Yukon XL Denali to test drive". So I go pick out an '08 Denali in Onyx Black with Cocoa interior. Stickers for $59,010.00. So we test drive it and she fell in love with it. My dealer lets her drive it home for the night; so we get home, and my neighbors immediately start peeking over the bushes to see what we have. They are a classic case of keeping up with the joneses. For example, we got new living room furniture and within 2 weeks they got new furniture. We got new pine straw in the front yard, and they have it within a week. When my mom got her '05 Yukon XL, they started talking about new ones. It's pretty bad. Anyway...

We take the Denali back today and get the numbers. The payment was going to be $993 a month for 60 months with 0% financing. My parents don't want to do that, as they are paying $619 a month for 72 months with a 6.9% interest rate. So we give it back to them and when we get home, lo and behold: a Stealth Grey '08 Yukon XL Denali in their driveway. We immediately become upset because my mom has always wanted one and we can't afford that, but they go out and buy the same truck we wanted (except that color is horrible). The only reason they bought it was because we had test driven the one last night. They were supposed to be getting a Sierra SLT All-Terrain so they could pull their boat.

My mom goes back out to Trent Cadillac and asks them about getting a better deal. Well, they don't want to come off the price any more so we tell our salesperson what the deal with our neighbors was. The dealer also became upset, because the people were going to come in to my dealership today and look at a truck. They instead buy the truck from Parker GMC in Morehead City, and they weren't answering phone calls and when you make an appointment you should at least call and say "Hey, we're buying a truck somewhere else"

So to get "back" at the neighbors, the dealer decides to loan us:

A 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV in Black Raven. Oh my god, it's the most amazing thing I have ever driven. At least 10x better than the Denali, and I thought that truck was amazing. It stickers at $71,390.00. We have started to look at used ESV's now. My mom has fallen in love. So have I. I mean, I can't even describe it. All you Escalade drivers, well I'm completely jealous. Our neighbors our going crazy now.

Ok, so I'm done for today

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
That is pretty funny-- our neighbors are like that too...we get something and within a week, they have the same too-- enjoy having the last laugh!

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Great story!

So, you should have borrowed a Rolls or something; the neighbors'd go broke ''copying'' you. :D

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
$71k for an Escalade is pretty ridiculous. I mean, they drop $25k in one year. Even $60k for a Denali is insane. My dealer was going to let the Denali go for invoice, which is $54k. So we factor in the payoff amount for our Yukon XL (somewhere around $22660) and the trade in value (a complete ripoff at $18k) and with all the tax, tags, title, etc. we still were gonna pay $59k out the door.

We'll be keeping our '05 for a long time...

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
If I had $71,000+ to spend on an SUV, it would definitely be a Range Rover. Those are way better than any GMC SUV in my opinion. (In black, of course).

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
If I had $71,000+ to spend on an SUV, it would definitely be a Range Rover. Those are way better than any GMC SUV in my opinion. (In black, of course).

Oh I would probably go for the Range Rover Sport myself, but with my two brothers and my dad, there wouldn't be enough room. :(

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
My neighbours are pretty much the same (although not as bad as yours).

They've always got to prove themselves to be better than everyone else.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery my friend, you gotta roll with it.

Good work :D

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
is it funny? or just sad?

Sad that you even care what they think and even sadder that they are caught up 'keeping with the joneses'?

Enjoy your current vehicle, which it sounds like you do and go from there. I enjoy my Tacoma and could give a flying monkey a$$ what other ppl think or buy for their vehicle. Good for them. :)

Then again, maybe there's more to the story of being neighbours with each other.

Really freak them out and ride your bicycles around. Watch them buy new bikes :) Or, lend your SUV to a friend for a bit and get a prius or some other hybrid type vehicle, telling your neighbours you decided to go all environmental and watch your neighbours buy one, then have your buddy brings yours back.

btw, on a complete side note, I was just down in SC this past week. I must say I was totally stunned, coming from Canada, that I had to PRE-PAY gas b/c so many ppl are driving off without paying. That, in itself, is entirely a sad state of affairs....let alone the headaches I had trying to convert litres to gallons (not a smart math guy me isn't ;) what a pain in the a$$... :)

The beach was nice though :)

Cheers,
Keebler

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, too much money and not enough (if any) sense...

On both sides of the fence.

You borrow/test a car, and they buy the car you want. Then you actually tell the salesperson of your "plight", and borrow a better car just to get back at your neighbours?

And I do like the suggestion of getting a more fuel efficient car. If your neighbours copy you, then too bad for them. In terms of helping the environment, you'd be helping the environment 2x for the price of one.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Dude, that just made my day. I hate it when neighbors are like that. Jealousy can be a very powerful thing my friend. :cool:

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
On both sides of the fence.

You borrow/test a car, and they buy the car you want. Then you actually tell the salesperson of your "plight", and borrow a better car just to get back at your neighbours?

And I do like the suggestion of getting a more fuel efficient car. If your neighbours copy you, then too bad for them. In terms of helping the environment, you'd be helping the environment 2x for the price of one.

No the salespeople gave us the Escalade to drive. We didn't ask them to do that and we would never ask them.

As for the environment, I'd rather drive a 12MPG Escalade than a hybrid anyday. I don't buy all the environment stuff, and plus there isn't a hybrid vehicle large enough for my family. If we get a new truck, it will most likely be a Denali or Escalade. Whichever my mom chooses since she'll be paying for it.

My neighbours are pretty much the same (although not as bad as yours).

They've always got to prove themselves to be better than everyone else.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery my friend, you gotta roll with it.

Good work :D

Haha, thats what my mom thought. :)

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
No the salespeople gave us the Escalade to drive. We didn't ask them to do that and we would never ask them.

As for the environment, I'd rather drive a 12MPG Escalade than a hybrid anyday. I don't buy all the environment stuff, and plus there isn't a hybrid vehicle large enough for my family. If we get a new truck, it will most likely be a Denali or Escalade. Whichever my mom chooses since she'll be paying for it.

Haha, thats what my mom thought. :)

What about the Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid very good on gas but with all the V8 power. It was developed in partnership with BMW, We are probably going to get one for our family. There was a show on it a few days ago and it did extremely well.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
What about the Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid very good on gas but with all the V8 power. It was developed in partnership with BMW, We are probably going to get one for our family. There was a show on it a few days ago and it did extremely well.

I was actually telling my mom about that, but unfortunately Chevy only makes that in regular form. If they made it in Suburban or Yukon XL size we would most likely consider that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.