Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
i keep seeing that people think the new MBP will come down in price. Is there anything in that? if anything i would think they would go up. i did not want a new one because my MBP at the mo is brill, but if the price is right i will be in there!!

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
We are talking five percentage points out of the 35 or so percent of the profit margins. So, either it's a very small price drop, or it's an increase in production, or it could be both. Hell, it could even be a price hike, because if they simultanously add, say, Blueray, but doesn't increase the price as much as the cost (and the added profit), the result will be hike, yet their margins (in percent not in dollars) might be a little lower.

JRSimmons

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
UK
I understand where the above poster is coming from. The profit expectation cut could come from many areas - including adding technology alongside a static price.

However in the current economic climate, Apple would be stupid to leave prices at current levels.
Apple is considered a premium brand, as consumer spending slows, people tend to opt for the cheaper yet still quality brand such as Sony/Dell/HP etc. These Companies have broken into the mainstream consumer market, and are thus more resilient to recessionary pressures. Currently, Apple are not.

By reducing the price of their entry level notebook, they are able to compete amongst the mainstream.

I'd expect their minimum price levels to drop to $999 - but we'll see, it's all speculation.

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I hope Apple drop their prices. I just pickup a new Gateway 17 inch with 64b Vista, 4 GB memory, Intel Core Duo, 7200 RPM drvie, HDMI out, Nvidia 9800m GTS, plus more for only $1100. Running 3DMark benchmark running Vista on both, the Gateway almost 4x the speed of my 4 months old Macbook Pro. And my MBP cost me almost $3k. Don't get me wrong, I love my MBP. My point is with similar spec, I just don't understand how Apple would charge us $2K more while other companies can do it. Yes, they need to make a profit, and I understand that.

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
I hope Apple drop their prices. I just pickup a new Gateway 17 inch with 64b Vista, 4 GB memory, Intel Core Duo, 7200 RPM drvie, HDMI out, Nvidia 9800m GTS, plus more for only $1100. Running 3DMark benchmark running Vista on both, the Gateway almost 4x the speed of my 4 months old Macbook Pro. And my MBP cost me almost $3k. Don't get me wrong, I love my MBP. My point is with similar spec, I just don't understand how Apple would charge us $2K more while other companies can do it. Yes, they need to make a profit, and I understand that.

Very True and while I do not mind paying a premium I don't appreciate being raked over the hot coal. 2K is alot.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
A big part of this is that one, the MBP hasn't been updated in 8 months, and two, laptop prices have dropped quite significantly this year.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If I ever get a PC laptop it'll be one of those Gateway budget gaming monsters.

For $1349 you can get the Centrino 2 version with a P8400.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons

Funny review: We bought a Gateway and Windows got hosed for some reason. We called 1-800-GATEWAY for support. Guess what? If you buy a Gateway anywhere but their website you must call a separate toll number. WTF!? Then we needed to restore it but the restore partition was bad. Had to get the recovery disk. They charged me $20 for a $1 CD-R. Then it wouldn't work, and they wanted to charge me to tell me how to use it. Again WTF? These people are horrible. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get a Mac. Anything but Gateway.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Funny review: We bought a Gateway and Windows got hosed for some reason. We called 1-800-GATEWAY for support. Guess what? If you buy a Gateway anywhere but their website you must call a separate toll number. WTF!? Then we needed to restore it but the restore partition was bad. Had to get the recovery disk. They charged me $20 for a $1 CD-R. Then it wouldn't work, and they wanted to charge me to tell me how to use it. Again WTF? These people are horrible. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get a Mac. Anything but Gateway.
The recovery partition is common practice among PC vendors. So you want to single out Gateway?

Sad but true advice. Make your recovery discs if you aren't shipped any in the first place.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
The trouble is, you often find the disks you burn are actually useless. So when you go to restore, they don't work and you have to call the support numbers.

So you buy a PC you deserve what you get. If your happy with a gateway, then good luck to you but they are not for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.