A problem or 2 with iMessage. Probably common ones.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Brad9753, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Brad9753 macrumors member

Brad9753

I just got someone in work to send me a random message from thier iPhone. The first 2 didn't send at all even though they said delivered. Was via I message because the bubbles were blue. I tried sending her a message but it sent as a text. I suggested she turn off I message and back on again. It then worked and was in blue as expected. However it was sent via my email and not my mobile number. This is no problem really but I want to be able to recive and send iMessages from my Mac Pro. I heard once that you can only to that if they use thier email address though. Or should the messages we exchanged appear on my mac when I get home just fine?

2. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

yeah, the msg's you recieved should appear on ur mac once ur home. atleast thats how it works for me. its linked to my email address.

3. Brad9753 thread starter macrumors member

Brad9753

Also the settings options on my iPhone 5 seem to have decreased. Only have the option to turn on and off. Used to be more. Wanted to check I have my number and my email but I couldn't. The girl on her iPhone 4 could though (and was).

----------

O ok so I should be able to message anyone via my mac or phone no matter what I am linked to (email or phone) and no matter what they are linked to? Any idea why it didn't work first time though?

----------

O ok so I should be able to message anyone via my mac or phone no matter what I am linked to (email or phone) and no matter what they are linked to? Any idea why it didn't work first time though?

4. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

not sure why it dint work earlier. but once ur home and u see the msg's on ur mac, then u can be sure that if u reply from ur mac it'll reach the persons phone/mac.

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Have you tried turning iMessage off on your iPhone then back on? You should have the option to edit your send&receive addresses unless you arent logged in to imessage.

If your Mac Pro has 10.8.2 it will integrate your phone #. Once you are signed in to iMessage on your phone the Mac will see the phone #. You will just need to go into preferences and set your start new conversations address to your phone #

6. kauffee macrumors newbie

I've been having this problem, too, since getting my iPhone 5. iMessages is very flaky... most of my messages are being sent/received as text instead. I even tried sending an imessage from my WiFi iPad 2 to myself, and it delivered as text to the phone. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on WiFi or LTE... only about 10% of texts that should be imessages are actually going through as iMessages.

I've tried turning iMessages on and off and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm too lazy to go through and do a restore or reset network settings (since I'm assuming I'll lose all my WiFi preferences/passwords).

This doesn't appear to be widespread but there are definitely a handful of people on here and on the Apple forums reporting it. People seem to have a handful of remedies that may or may not work.

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Your iPad can only send iMessages it does not support text messaging.

8. kauffee macrumors newbie

Yep. On the iPad it shows as a blue iMessage and says "Delivered." But on the iPhone it shows it received as a green text message. Very strange.