A problem with Handbrake

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by allegrovivo, Dec 14, 2008.

1. allegrovivo macrumors newbie

I'm trying to import my dvd of home movies into my macbook so that i can edit it on iMovieHD. I've read a lot of threads on how to do it and I've got the gist of it.

My problem is with Handbrake. I encoded my dvd (I have no idea what "encode" means. I am completely new to the video editing world) and it finished rather quickly. My DVD is an hour and a half long.

So I encoded it and it finished quickly. I checked it and it played a second of footage from random scenes chronologically for 45 seconds and then it was done. I tried this with .avi files and .mp4 files.

I read that I have to convert it to DV but Handbrake only outputs into .mp4, .mkv, .ogm and .avi.

How can I solve that problem? Which setting do I need to possibly change in Handbrake? Thanks in advance!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Handbrake is the wrong tool for this. You need MPEG Streamclip (freeware) or DVDxDV to convert the DVD's VOB files into a .dv stream for use in iMovie.

Note that if you choose MPEG Streamclip, you will need to download and install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component from Apple.

-DH