a problem with my new ibook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gooser, Feb 26, 2015.

1. gooser macrumors 6502

i just got a 14" 1.42ghz ibook yesterday which may have a problem. or may not. great screen by the way. when i start up the machine after the chime i am greeted with a flashing square showing a picture of north and south america. this continues for about 20 seconds and then it's replaced with the flashing question mark folder. this also continues for about 20 seconds and then the machine will start up normally. anyone have any clues what is going on? battery is dead so i know that i'll have to replace that. machine works fine with the power adapter and quickly wakes up from sleep.

2. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

The flashing question mark folder shows up when there is no OS on the drive. This will sometimes happen before the Mac checks the Optical Drive(s) or Hard Drive(s) for bootable media. This has happened to me. That's all I can say about this

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Select the startup disk in System Preferences --> Startup Disk. It is looking for a NetBoot location, then has to search for local bootable media like optical disks, USB, and internal hard drive before seeing that OS X is on the main drive. Selecting the drive in System Preferences will resolve the issue.

4. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

damn altemose, that was easy and it works. thanks.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem! Glad that was all it needed! Enjoy the machine.