a problem with my new ibook?

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
i just got a 14" 1.42ghz ibook yesterday which may have a problem. or may not. great screen by the way. when i start up the machine after the chime i am greeted with a flashing square showing a picture of north and south america. this continues for about 20 seconds and then it's replaced with the flashing question mark folder. this also continues for about 20 seconds and then the machine will start up normally. anyone have any clues what is going on? battery is dead so i know that i'll have to replace that. machine works fine with the power adapter and quickly wakes up from sleep.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
i just got a 14" 1.42ghz ibook yesterday which may have a problem. or may not. great screen by the way. when i start up the machine after the chime i am greeted with a flashing square showing a picture of north and south america. this continues for about 20 seconds and then it's replaced with the flashing question mark folder. this also continues for about 20 seconds and then the machine will start up normally. anyone have any clues what is going on? battery is dead so i know that i'll have to replace that. machine works fine with the power adapter and quickly wakes up from sleep.
The flashing question mark folder shows up when there is no OS on the drive. This will sometimes happen before the Mac checks the Optical Drive(s) or Hard Drive(s) for bootable media. This has happened to me. That's all I can say about this

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Select the startup disk in System Preferences --> Startup Disk. It is looking for a NetBoot location, then has to search for local bootable media like optical disks, USB, and internal hard drive before seeing that OS X is on the main drive. Selecting the drive in System Preferences will resolve the issue.